Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Idea for offroad lights...

I've been planning to put some offroad lights on my bus where the 4 flashing lights were on the top and front of the bus. But they're SO expensive! I was at Bass Pro recently and they have a spotlight there that is 15 million candlewatt power! It also runs off of 12VDC!! It just so happens to be approximately the same diameter as the old flashing lights! This thing is just begging to be adapted into a crazy offroad light. They're only about $60 each. That's $240 for four of them. It would cost twice that for four KC offroad lights and they're nowhere near as bright. There would be no real need for lights this bright other than it would be really cool. I'll probably be taking my bus down some back roads though. Also, when some douche bag is coming at you at night and won't turn his brights off, I can just flip the switch to 4ea 15 million candlewatt power lights and he can kiss his retinas good bye. He'll think he's staring at the sun. I'll try one soon and see how it fits and if it can be done easily. If not, I'll still have me a cool spoptlight!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Be careful. The beams from those spotlights is extremely focused. That's how they get so bright in the first place. Also, in many jurisdictions it is not legal to have offroad lights uncovered on the roads or to have them mounted above a certain height. How do you plan to aim them so they aren't pointed out horizontally and scaring sleeping robins instead of shining on the road? I think it's a cool idea with lots of potential. It just requires some thought. Also...on my play toy truck I have more lights mounted behind and rock lights mounted under the body illuminating the tires and surrounding area than shining forward. Why? I need to see the right now when wheeling at night and not the 1 mile from now.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Here in Virginia those have to be covered....cops tried to give me a ticket one day when driving my brothers pick-up truck....seems they though the snow plow lights needed to have covers on them. It was only after he checked with his dispatcher and found out he couldn't ticket me even if they were off-road lights because they met Maine safety inspection crieteria...something about reciprocity laws....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
off road lights

I am sure the person that you flash with your off road lights will appreciate your "highlighting" their error when they are laying in the hospital with blindness, beiing that their pupils were dialated open and you just burned out the back of their eyes. Lucky for you they won't be able to identify your vehicle because of their perdicament, unless they hit you head on.
Seems like I remember a story like that, lots of KC lights on a roll bar, a guy that forgot to turn off his high beams that just happened to be an oncoming highway patrolman. He has permanent sight loss from the incident with the other guy paying dearly for it all. I'd leave that gun in it's holster, never to be drawn unless absolutely necessary. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Just how far ahead do you need to see?? A cheaper mode might be to mount some regular headlights....a lot cheaper too...and direct their beams where you need them. Say the two outer lights use the broad beam or flood lights to see to each side and the two central lights to see straight ahead. But you could only use them OFF ROAD....again if you flash someone you'll likely be the one to get the ticket...or....worse.
oakspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I thought about just leaving the standard lights in there and use them with no lens or get some clear ones that I saw at the local bus parts supplier.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Bus Nut

a good partsperson at the auto parts should be able to get aircraft landing light bulbs to fit the lamp holders in the bus, it's a matter of using the interchance chart to find pinpoint focused bulbs.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote