Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Ideas NEEDED: Replacing Upper Flashing Lights w/ offroad LEDs

That's right, I want to replace the four upper school bus lights (two each side) with some super bright LED lights. Ideally they would surface mount or be recessed like the originals, and be about the same size so as to emulate the original lights. And they need to be damn brite...so I can see way up the road when I'm out in the weeds. Or when I'm out on the hiway and get stuck behind a Prius.

I'm talking about those two on either side of the Pirate Fish.

Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Do you know what bulb is used? Lots of possibilities. If they use the GE 4636 it is a par 64 bulb even more options not just automotive. Par 64 come in different beam angles 2° to 40° and up to 3150+ lumens.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
I love doing research.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I love doing research.
Please expound on this a bit. I'm expecting delivery of my skoolie next Saturday and was thinking of doing just this. Seem like since I have the working switch I could just replace the safety lights with fog lights.

Any pointers to sources or similar mods would be much appreciated.
Zizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Bus Nut

If the bus has no flasher and just a switch and takes sealed beam bulbs of the GE 4636 you could replace the sealed beams with upgrade leds. The GE 4636 is designed around the par 64 form factor. These bulbs would most likely be behind coloured lenses, remove the lens and you have white lights. That is if your bus is equipped with that type of fixtures. Any information on the bus?

I just too a better look at your posts. doh Collins bus
Old 12-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Collins bus has a good website
http://www.collinsbuscorp.com/index.php

I checked the online catalog and it listed 7" led or 7" halogen. The halogen bulbs maybe sealed beam GE 4636 but they use their own part numbers.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Be advised that DOT prohibits white lights up that high unless they have covers when on the highway. Off road OK...but not on public roads.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Be advised that DOT prohibits white lights up that high unless they have covers when on the highway. Off road OK...but not on public roads.
Well noted, although I am not one of those people who is all that concerned with strict compliance. More like one of those people who complies with what I can't get away with...

What I am after here are some big, bright offroad driving lights (think Baja 1000) that I can use to replace the existing light fixtures. Wiring is not a consideration; I can do whatever's necessary for that. But I need the whole enchilada, as the existing lights will get exported to the trash bin. And need LED's for low power draw.

Sure, anybody can throw out big $$$ and solve this. I need reasonable cost. That is where you guys on this forum can help.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Oops it's par 46 form factor not 64

http://www.whelen.com/auto/product.p...74&prod_id=516
Old 12-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I have never found a federal nor state regulation requirement to keep "offroad" lights covered while on a public road.

In general, you can mount as many lights as you please wherever you please provided that you never activate them on public roads.

Which means you could run around with them not covered and off.
Just don't forget to turn them off when you see any headlights from other vehicles.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Here is a par 46 2° 2000 lumens drop in bulb.

http://sirennet.com/store/product/si...2deg-spotlight

When I use to do concert lighting we used par 46 aircraft landing lights higher voltage 24 - 38 volt.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I and others here have done alot of reading on that subject.. I think alot of times the jeep crowd has kept the upper lights covered for a couple reasons..

1. overhead lights are a MAGNET for rocks when it comes to jeeps.. rocks bounce off the hood and then just barely over the roof.. breakage is high.

2. accidentilly turning on overhead lights during the daytime would invite the coppers to stop you and look for reason to give a ticket.

Noted are almost NO ONE covers their LED light bars on their jeeps.. I see them all the time uncovered... nowadays people do all kinds of fancy things to keep them from being turned on during the day... and have better indicators on their switch panels as well to note that they are not on..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Looking at my upper flashing lights in front from the inside it looks to me as if mine are not bulbs at all round headlight type very possibly halogen. I will remove all the front lenses and put the lights on a separate switch. I will take the front orange light lens and replace the rear red ones. I will still nee to make some form of a cover to keep water from coming in around the headlight. Any ideas? Maybe cut the front out of the red lens and keep the sides so to seal around it.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Best two options you would have, assuming you don't intend to repurpose the lights for something else.....

1) Just paint the lenses over with white, or black, or whatever color the surrounding metal is.

2) Fabricate metal covers to take the place of the bulb and lens and screw them into the existing holes, making sure to use plenty of sealer to make it watertight, then paint over them as above.

If you will be repurposing the lights, make sure to check the laws about that to make sure you don't break them.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
Skoolie

Well, here's what I might do:

Remove the upper lights entirely, and fabricate a panel of 3/16"" aluminum diamond-plate to fill in the scallop in the fiberglass front panel where the lights were located.

Throw this plate on the mill and mill off a section of the treads so I could weld a piece of 3" angle aluminum to the face of the plate and hang a pair of Hella 500 driving lights. There would be two on each side, along with waterproof bulkhead seals for the wires. Then I'd convert the Hellas to HID.

I'd bond these panels onto the fiberglass front w/ 5200, and thru-bolt with stainless screws & fender washers.

Total cost would be about $300ish.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
I know its an old thread but curiosity has me, what route did you take? Pics?
2planker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Something like this could be fun:

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product...387450045.html
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote