Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Ideas to mount a hidden safe in a skoolie?

Looking for ideas to mount a hidden safe in a skoolie. Not a huge safe just a place to keep valuables. I look forward to the replies.

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hello,

Well i installed a Nightowl survielance system and put the DVR recorder inside a neat old box, a box covered in a thin metal which was most likely a strong box of sorts.

Well i locked it but also tied a string to the inside and drilled a hole through the bus into the underneath, underneath i connected the string to a switch, so that if anyone lifts the box it flips the switch connected directly to a horn. Setting the box back down wont unflip the switch. aaaaand don't tell anyone lol
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
You might install a mountable safe inside a dinette seat or something like that, depending on how it mounts..... where you have to open an access panel to get to the safe. Or you could mount it between framing members inside a wall, with some kind of mirror, artwork, etc, securely mounted, or if you can arrange it, maybe have the access on the back side of the wall in an area that would normally not be accessed (like a utility closet or such).
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Some of the high end RV's had safes built into their rigs.

Most were a flush floor mount unit.

If it is mounted in the floor above something else like air tanks, fuel tanks, etc. so it can't be seen from underneath it would be about as secure as anything short of stealing the bus.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

That would be another option too but the danger there would be cutting into air or fuel lines, or electric wiring when cutting the hole to mount the safe, depending on where the underbody components are mounted and connected up into their corresponding systems.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I just had another thought..... why not have a safe hidden in plain sight? Get you a nice deep gang box and an electric outlet, install it in the wall like any other outlet, but just don't connect any wiring to it.... put it in an out of the way corner where it's unlikely anyone will want to plug anything in to it and you're golden. To access it, just remove the wall plate (and outlet, if you have a bigger item to store or remove). Will cost you less than $5 in materials and will likely be more secure as a burglar won't be looking for it.

If you need something a little bigger, make it a 2 gang (4 outlet) box.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
There was someone that posted a video of a sliding corner wall made out of old pallet wood that was pretty damned sweet!

I tried google image searching key words, but couldn't come up with anything... Maybe someone else remembers it
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

It was in a thread here, I think it was in the thread about traveling with firearms in an RV, will have to go back and see if I can find it.

EDIT: That thread wasn't it, just flipped through the whole thing and it wasn't there. But I saw it on here somewhere, within the last month or so.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Couple good ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Heck yeah!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I built my bed on hinges in order to store stuff under it. With some leftover wood I made my own lockbox in the corner of my bed frame. I screwed it to the floor and the bed frame to be secure. No one has ever guessed that my bed opens up in the first place. If someone ever did get under it there's still no way to open the box. We travel to music festivals across the country. It's always peaceful like minded people camping near us but that gives me peace of mind. Having it allows me to party hard without feeling like I have to go check on the bus.

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Bus Nut

When i was a kid i cut a tide detergent box down too about 3 inches tall ad the glued it to the back of my dresser door. Mom never found my cigarettes.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
One consideration for any over the road safe is...fireproofing and waterproofing. Especially for long term trips or full timers who need to have all their "papers in order".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

I've got a pretty cool little lock box (with sliding top)mounted to the wall and wheel tub by the door... Not fire proof nor water proof. But it's handy as a "glove compartment"
Original use was probably be for road hazard stuff, flares, triangles, etc

Wouldn't be good for a firearm... Too far from the bed!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
One consideration for any over the road safe is...fireproofing and waterproofing. Especially for long term trips or full timers who need to have all their "papers in order".
For that you'll want to keep them in an easily accessible fireproof box located right by the exit door so you can grab it as you go out.

An alternative for that is to scan in all your important documents and keep PDFs of them on a flash drive which is on you at all times.... think about it, you usually keep your keys and phone right next to you wherever you are, and if you have to beat a hasty exit you're gonna grab them on the way out.

Another storage option is to save a copy of them in the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, M$ OneDrive, etc), though if you go this route you'll want to put them in a password-protected ZIP file, or put a password on each PDF file (I think most PDF file generators will let you do this).
Old 12-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I would put it on a thumbdrive or two but i would keep hard copies of some for the cops

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I would put it on a thumbdrive or two but i would keep hard copies of some for the cops
With that being said... The highway patrol around here recognizes my insurance verifications on my iPhone, as does the tag office.
It was an OHP officer that turned me onto the idea. That's how him and his wife use theirs.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #18
Skoolie

A cheap option is to use an Ammo Can. These can be had in a lot of different sizes, can be locked with any type of pad lock and be mounted anywhere. You can bolt them down, weld them on, etc. All of them came with a water-proof seal(some better than others) and you can get them cheap from any number of online vendors or surplus outlets(even Cabelas).
The down side is, they are fire resistant, not fire proof. They do not have a built in lock, you must supply it.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Not all of them can be locked.... the one I got from Bass Pro Shops about a year ago doesn't have any provision for locking. Not a big deal for me since it's just me, but with what I have in it, if I had little ones running around I would definitely want one that locks.
Attached Thumbnails
1211161637.jpg   1211161639.jpg  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
I could tell ya...

...but then I'd have to kill ya!

Moo ha ha ha!
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote