Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #1

I'm brand new to Skoolies

And wondered about your opinions on this bus:
This is a 1989 Ford B-600, 24' Ward body, 54 passenger, retired school bus. Powered by a 6 cylinder diesel, automatic tranny, power steering, new 8D battery, really good Goodyears on all corners, brakes are excellent, all seats removed save one and the driver, good exhaust, no rust, rear heat, all windows intact and working, solid body and frame.

This cruiser is ready for a camper conversion or set up as a tailgaters dream! Smoke the windows and you've got a rolling PARTY! With the sale, I will throw in a brand new motorhome, high security, entry door and frame that will easily replace that old, noisey, bi-fold door up front. It has keys for the lock, screen door and a full window (DOT compliance) and costs $1800 new! It is high quality and heavy.

$2700 as is.

Okay, to answer the obvious questions. What does it need? The fuel in the tank is old and burns more like oil than diesel, so the tank needs to be drained and fresh fuel added. It needs a normal service, i.e. filters, oil, antifreeze flush. It needs either a fuseable link at the starter or a solenoid. You can start it, but not with the key. You can drive it anywhere the way it sits or for a sale price of $3000, I'll take care of the items listed above.
Attached Images

evlbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: I'm brand new to Skoolies

so are you trying to buy this bus or sell it?

If you want to buy ask the seller what engine it is what transmission, the milage, brakes hydrolic or air, how long has it been sitting since he drove it last. (looks like a skoolie project that ran out of time or interest, so could have been sitting there for quite some time)
Go look at it if you can...
No Rust...hmmmm....89....there must be some rust somewhere
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #3

Year: 87
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: flat nose
Engine: 3208 cat
Rated Cap: 84

With all things considered (in the above post) I've seen similar busses for almost half that asking price. But just like any used vehicle, they are unique in their condition so perhaps research like busses in your area to determine whether 3000 is a good price. I have an 38 ft. 87 Thomas flat nosed style that I picked up for 2500 and so far, in good running condition with moderate milage. My only initial resistance with my bus is the 3208 cat engine (expensive for parts) One advantage to your prospective bus is the engine is a workhorse and is relatively easy to service.

HTH.
Necrobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Simplicity in maintenance is a huge plus for me, and worth the small premium.
The fact that I don't have to deal with all of the seats is also a factor.
He found out that the electrical problem was the alternator and is taking care of that. I hope to go see it this weekend and bring back more info.
Thanks.
evlbstrd is offline   Reply With Quote