Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Generally, they work fine.
The washer is a little messy with filling and emptying and all that business.
The Dryer is the same, wet clothes dripping, a very fast rotational speed.
To help with that overall, I just put them in the big laundry work sink.
I plan to do the same on the floor of the shower in the bus when it is ready.
Kind of contain the area more, plus they are a little noisy. I mean they are not any louder than the normal size washing drying but, they are easier to notice sitting next to you on the counter.
Filters, regular cleaning, a splash of bleach of vinegar and you are back in action. That standing water issue is easy to come across and easy enough to resolve.
They are certainly worth a try and far cheaper than apartment style stackers or other hand tumble washers.

New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
be sure its a vented model
Thanks a lot Dave I'll look into it
Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Generally, they work fine.
The washer is a little messy with filling and emptying and all that business.
The Dryer is the same, wet clothes dripping, a very fast rotational speed.
To help with that overall, I just put them in the big laundry work sink.
I plan to do the same on the floor of the shower in the bus when it is ready.
Kind of contain the area more, plus they are a little noisy. I mean they are not any louder than the normal size washing drying but, they are easier to notice sitting next to you on the counter.
Filters, regular cleaning, a splash of bleach of vinegar and you are back in action. That standing water issue is easy to come across and easy enough to resolve.
They are certainly worth a try and far cheaper than apartment style stackers or other hand tumble washers.
Talked to the DW and she is totally behind trying this!

She wondered if this is something we could setup outside as needed to keep the mess out there when we can? This would assume water and grey water hookups - I had already planned to include a pump fed line on the outside of the bus for grey water. This will allow us to do exterior cleaning and not dump where it is not allowed.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I've also been looking into alternative washer/dryer machines. I like the idea of keeping two units seperately, however I have been gravitating towards this two in one..

I'm planning on having it on pull out slides in the bathroom so it can drain into the shower easily.

If this does not work as I desire, I may join the New2School team.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Has anyone tried the Scrubba Wash Bag? We purchased one to get us by when in between access to laundry machines. We havent used it yet though.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post
So, my wife and I have discussed the idea of taking our brand new high efficiency front washer on the bus. I would love to hear some feedback from those that have a washer and those that do not have one.

My feeling is that we can go without and use facilities as we travel (coin op), knowing that we can park the bus near by, shuttle clothing in and do multiple loads all at once.

This vs having to wait to do laundry when we are hooked up to water and sewer, or plan for full freshwater and empty grey water every time we want to do laundry.

I will say that the washer is a truly high efficiency at a water factor of 2.7, which is very low. That means for 4.2 cubic feet of wash space, it uses around 20 gallons of water, but that is still a lot of water. If we have a 100 gallon tank which seems common for skoolies, we would be able to do about 5 loads of laundry before the tank is empty. This is assuming boondocking of course.

The other factor is space usage, space is a premium and I feel like we will learn to live with doing laundry once a week and maybe get an extra day out of a pair of shorts, lol.

Thoughts?
My thought ourmefa, is that when the wife & I are going to hit the road occasionally is because it is just that. We want to get away from the house and do things a little differently. I think most of us want a few of the conveniences of home but not necessarily all of them. Just the idea of a skoolie shows that conventional wisdom sort of goes out the window. I think you are correct (at least with my thinking) that it gives you the chance to go into town wherever you may be and meet new people. We as a culture already have enough things to keep us from being social with others..... Don't mean to ramble, just my 2 cents worth.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
My thought ourmefa, is that when the wife & I are going to hit the road occasionally is because it is just that. We want to get away from the house and do things a little differently. I think most of us want a few of the conveniences of home but not necessarily all of them. Just the idea of a skoolie shows that conventional wisdom sort of goes out the window. I think you are correct (at least with my thinking) that it gives you the chance to go into town wherever you may be and meet new people. We as a culture already have enough things to keep us from being social with others..... Don't mean to ramble, just my 2 cents worth.
Love it!! Yes! Such a good point - the not having all the amenities of home! I think we may look at something like the little one load washer posted above. Something that can be stored out of the way and does not take up a ton of room. More for emergency washes lol.

Tags
clothing, dryer, laundry, washer