Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Re: Info on a Thomas type D School bus

Originally Posted by the_experience03

Those ARE the types of questions a serious buyer would ask.
I agree. That is all pertinent information, the same type of questions that would be asked when purchasing almost any vehicle. He absolutely did not want to supply any information at all, including a direct answer about mileage. After exchanging a few e-mails with the guy I came away with the distinct impression that he was trying to hide something about the vehicle.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Re: Info on a Thomas type D School bus

Sorry for hijacking this thread but someone brought up that each state and/or school districts may order buses to their own specs. I thought I was pretty picky of what I wanted but according to this, I should be able to find what I want. I would like to find a 6.6L, mt643 tranny, handicap access, 3/4 size or bigger, not more than 66 passenger, in good shape and on limited budget. is this possible?

I can already see you all are laughing, but I'm serious. Will I have to compromise?
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Info on a Thomas type D School bus further the hijacking since this thread seems about dead unfortunately....

My bus is a 65 passenger. It's in essence a 66 passenger, but the rearmost seat was ordered narrower so it could fit a garbage can and not block the emergency exit. See what I mean about each bus being speced differently for each individual order?

I have a 6.6, but I have an AT545. I think it would be possible to find one with an MT643 as it certainly was an option, but I think you're going to have a hard time finding one. A 4+2 or 5+2 manual is probably going to be MUCH easier to find if you want a stalled connection at highway speeds. The AT545 is a good match for the 6.6 though. It has some disadvantages versus the other transmission option, but if it wasn't a good transmission it wouldn't have been used to 25+ years.

As for handicap accessible...well...that's another hit or miss thing. I'm sure they're out there, but it might prove to be easier to modify a non-handicap bus.

In reality, your ideal bus is out there somewhere. I know mine is pretty darn close and nothing that you listed is the least bit out of the question. It's just a matter of finding it...
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote