Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Input on a bus to buy

Can anyone give my their opinion on this bus for sale on Craigslit?

https://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/...244289198.html

Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like an AMAZING bus, that has had a lot of salt, and thus looks pretty rusty.
I'd say jump on it, but that rust doesn't sleep. And for every bit of rust visible, there's always a ton more that isn't.
My van is from Nebraska, and its got some rust that wouldn't ever show up on a vehicle from here in FL. I still love the van, but I'd buy one outside the rust belt next time.
get pics of the underside. If the frame is as bad as the fender wells or there's a lot of floor rot, I'd definitely pass.
Rust is the worst thing to combat when doing a conversion. It adds a TON of work and expense.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Can anyone give my their opinion on this bus for sale on Craigslit?

https://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/...244289198.html
Cute bus !

Looks like 545 trans
bit of rust
short wheelbase- porpoise

Go take it for a test-run and see how bad the rust is. Drive a bunch of buses before falling in love.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I see the signs of rust too. I'd check and see how rusty the underside is before anything else. If that's a go, then I'd note the following:

Tires don't look "almost new". They do have acceptable tread and if you don't drive it much, you may never wear them out.
Rusty mentioned an AT545 transmission. I don't think so based on (1) DT466 engine (rarely if ever mated to an AT545), (2) shifter has D, 4, 2, 1 (indicating at least 5 forward speeds), and (3) being a 2001 model, the AT545 was quite rare for new buses (if available at all). Whatever it is, it will probably be an overdrive transmission.
Battery looks to be an 8D type. While these are adequate for starting and operating a bus, they *ARE* rather pricey and very heavy. It can be replaced with a pair or trio of group 31 batteries when it's time for replacement.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I see the signs of rust too. I'd check and see how rusty the underside is before anything else. If that's a go, then I'd note the following:

Tires don't look "almost new". They do have acceptable tread and if you don't drive it much, you may never wear them out.
Rusty mentioned an AT545 transmission. I don't think so based on (1) DT466 engine (rarely if ever mated to an AT545), (2) shifter has D, 4, 2, 1 (indicating at least 5 forward speeds), and (3) being a 2001 model, the AT545 was quite rare for new buses (if available at all). Whatever it is, it will probably be an overdrive transmission.
Battery looks to be an 8D type. While these are adequate for starting and operating a bus, they *ARE* rather pricey and very heavy. It can be replaced with a pair or trio of group 31 batteries when it's time for replacement.
Its almost surely an Allison 2000.
Or a rare one with the 3060 spec'd with a regular shifter.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote