Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: 3800 dt466e
Inside wall panel removal

Did any of you come across the inside wall panels to being kinda tack welded? I'm referring to the sheet metal material under the windows. I took all the screws out, and one rivet? , and even had to deal with a few stripped screws just to find that something is keeping the panel intact. At first, I thought it was some kind of glue or seal or maybe even hidden screws but discovered its like tack welded at the top of the sheet metal panel. I have to use vice grips to pull up a metal flap right under the windows to get to the sheet metal so I can pull it apart but I think pulling the metal flap up is going to make it easy for water to get in when it rains.

Anyone have to go through this? How did you go about it?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,913
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Is this a redundant post in error?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
jjhwick119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 785
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
you did have a thread about this already. Just leave it. A lot of people cut the metal below the window line, and just leave the extra. It will be covered up by your walls
__________________
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/n...tml#post256987
My build thread - Started 3.2.18
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: 3800 dt466e
From the looks of that other guys bus I thought he'd maybe went through the same thing. Didn't wanna keep posting in his build thread, that's all
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Greater Houston, Tx.
Posts: 534
That's ok by me.
Some of these young whippersnappers, have a hard time just leaveing things lie.
Did you get rid of your saw? If I weren't on the other side of Harris Cty. I would be over giving you a hand and learning at the same time.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: 3800 dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
That's ok by me.
Some of these young whippersnappers, have a hard time just leaveing things lie.
Did you get rid of your saw? If I weren't on the other side of Harris Cty. I would be over giving you a hand and learning at the same time.
I'm thinking you posted to the wrong thread?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: 3800 dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
you did have a thread about this already. Just leave it. A lot of people cut the metal below the window line, and just leave the extra. It will be covered up by your walls
I have battery powered tools and only a few batteries that i have no place to charge at the moment . Do you know of a way to get the tack welds or what ever this is loose? Rather not cut and save the batteriesfor when I absolutely need to use them. Posted pictures to show what they look like. Was able to pry some loose with a flat head screwdriver but its bending the part of the bus it's attached to, easily. But even its pretty hard after the few i was able to pry. Also tried pulling it with vice grips. Those tack welds are holding good but its gotta be a way people deal with this right?

The first image is after I was able to pry loose. The others is where i cut. These tack welds (is that what they are?) Were unnecessary IMO as there were plenty of screws

Appreciate any help anyone could give in advance
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,913
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
I have battery powered tools and only a few batteries that i have no place to charge at the moment . Do you know of a way to get the tack welds or what ever this is loose? Rather not cut and save the batteriesfor when I absolutely need to use them. Posted pictures to show what they look like. Was able to pry some loose with a flat head screwdriver but its bending the part of the bus it's attached to, easily. But even its pretty hard after the few i was able to pry. Also tried pulling it with vice grips. Those tack welds are holding good but its gotta be a way people deal with this right?

The first image is after I was able to pry loose. The others is where i cut. These tack welds (is that what they are?) Were unnecessary IMO as there were plenty of screws

Appreciate any help anyone could give in advance
Get you a spot weld cutter, they make spot welds a piece of cake. Just put the pointer in the center of the spot weld and the cutter cuts around the weld through the top layer releasing it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-of-3...8AAOSwA3dYRmZJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutter.jpg (13.6 KB, 13 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: 3800 dt466e
Thanks for this response! Gave me the idea to use drill bits. Don't know why my brain is so slow at times
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
jjhwick119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 785
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Sounds like that should work. I started out with just battery operated tools, but you really are muuuuch better off just getting a generator. I wish i would have sooner. It would have made things go so much faster in the beginning.
__________________
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/n...tml#post256987
My build thread - Started 3.2.18
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.