Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Install a RV door or keep the bus door.........

I am considering installing a RV door. But the bus door is usable. I am concerned with the bus door not sealing and having rodents enter. But other than that the bus door seems ok. What are you experiences?

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Skoolie

I am looking to replace mine, but the one I have is from an RV and it is about 68 in tall. I would rather have a taller one, but they are not cheap. I am looking into building my own, so it fits the opening and I will use the windows from the bus folding door.
Biggest thing is to install something with windows, you need to see that little car that pulls up next to you at the light, or anything else that a solid door would block. It could also be illegal in some states to not have windows in the door.
The other down side to an RV door is that they are mostly narrow, I want it as wide as possible.
Why replace the Bus door? It rattles, leaks air, water and makes a lot of noise as I drive down the road. A new door will help quiet all the door noise and keep more heat or cool air in the bus.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i used a mobile home cottage door 32x80. nice door with good seals. the old bus doors sucked, in the summer they leaked bad. 2 ac units going and couldn't tell when you were driving and then you froze when you stopped.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I carefully adjusted the doors to meet fully in the center and added foam weather striping as needed to stop drafts.
Our bus is used for 3-4 days camping mostly.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
When I can, I plan to replace the bus door with a custom 3 window door, with double pane transparencies.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
...but is a school bus still a school bus if you take out the skoolie door! ��

I just can't.

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm removing the bus door. IF anyone wants all the stuff for the air door, let me know. It all works and is VERY pricey to buy.

Free to a good home!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
If you have the skills, I recommend making your own.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my Skoolie door on the bluebird is double pane. (never saw that before)... on bluebirds and thomas's and likely IC / Amtran the OEM door seals are still manufactured and available.. I think its easily possible to seal up a Skoolie door nicely and spend the money and effort elsewhere on the conversion..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my Skoolie door on the bluebird is double pane. (never saw that before)... on bluebirds and thomas's and likely IC / Amtran the OEM door seals are still manufactured and available.. I think its easily possible to seal up a Skoolie door nicely and spend the money and effort elsewhere on the conversion..

-Christopher

Since my door is in good shape compared to other areas on the bus, I think I may keep it and try to seal it better. My concern is rodents. The bottom of the door has a gap but I'm sure I can fix that. My door is double pane too.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on the storm door for my house theres a metal piece at the bottom that has a broom sweep and rubber mix at the bottom.. it is slotted so can be adjusted up and down.. I wonder if something like that could be fitted to the bottom of a skoolie door.. allowing it to seal against the steps.. im thinking either make something or cut said metal plate and make new screw slots..

since thomas is still in business you may be able to find a replacement seal for it.. or maybe it is like my carpenter where its never sealed tight.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
Skoolie

I have a Blue Bird, but it is an 85. I have looked on line to find new seals, but just can't seem to find anything. Its not like looking up parts for a car/truck.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
i plan on 86ing my door as the skoolie doors are not 100% sealed and ice forms on the glass. i plan to inset a house door that swings outward. this will gatentee a proper seal and take away a huge loss of heat.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
i plan on 86ing my door as the skoolie doors are not 100% sealed and ice forms on the glass. i plan to inset a house door that swings outward. this will gatentee a proper seal and take away a huge loss of heat.
i used a quality mobile home door, pic in my album. it has insulated glass 9 lite and 2 good seals. the frame goes all the way around also. easy to install with the flange and its 80" tall
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I have the double bus doors, i like 'em. Very busish. I like busses. The doors seal decent enough, not perfect but good enough to keep unwanted guests out, well...

A few months back i heared nibbling in the dash vent. My thoughts went wild with imagining a rodent chewing through the wire, only to fail and leave me stranded somewhere between here and nowhere in the middle of the night. "You got to go." I thought, but then i invited guidance and received an instant answer "Leave him be."

That wasn't my plan and not what i expected, and i wasn't even sure i would follow the guidance, but decided to leave him be for the day, with no promise of tomorrow. A few hours later i returned to the bus and decided to pull the air filter cover and investigate the situation. There amidst all the wires was a little mouse bed. My heart nearly melted.

His name is Eugene and he receives daily snacks of almonds, rice, and sunflower.
Sometimes i hear him scuffle past in the overhead baggage racks. lol What a little darling. Yep he poops and pees, but mostly in areas out of my way. I am delighted to be a part of the group... spiders, bugs, mouse, kitty cat. The kitty hears Eugene and looks at me like "if he gets in my mouth, all bets are off."

Eugene is like me; he just searching for a safe warm place to sleep. I know what it's like to not have a safe home on Earth, it's so tiring. Glad to be able to help out the movement.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote