Old 01-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Any advancement on this concept? Anybody ever even make a test panel? Or come up with some other alternative to insulate the exterior and save precious interior space?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Closest thing I've ever seen regarding insulatating from the outside is George Myers roof.

http://www.busnut.com/artgm04.html
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

The question of how to insulate the outside of a bus has already been figured out by the people who build shipping container houses. http://www.eskimoinsulation.com/containers.html
For the roof they can coat it with an elastomeric coating after for protection. As for the walls. You could incorporate studs before it was sprayed. Then attach either aluminum or steel sheets for siding.
Or to be real smooth how about some sort of seamless piece of frp type of material like semi trailers are made of?
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Just do a google search. I posted links 6 months or so ago, but no clue where they are.

There are tons of commercial roofs with external spray foam coatings. They simply paint them every 5 to 10 years to protect the surface from the UV and moisture.

Again like everything else here on this site, people are way over thinking and fearing something they don't understand. The answers are where the people that install the stuff share their video's. Not here on Skoolie.net.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the replies. I know there are lots of spray coatings out there. I was just hoping to find some examples of people who have actually used it on their bus or at least experimented with it. And maybe have a how to or even a pro/con list. Something to get me pointed in the right direction. I figured it was a long shot because I didn't see any stucco covered looking busses in the gallery. But I though perhaps that could merely be due to the cost. It would be interesting to see how that stuff stands up to the abuse of wind and vibration of being on a mobile vehicle. Or even how the vehicles handling changes.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I don't think its the cost. I think its just not something that sounds aesthetically appealing. At least to me. Not that aesthetics are all that matter. I just wouldn't wanna drive a baked potato cross country and campgrounds and rv parks may not take it seriously.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #17
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think its the cost. I think its just not something that sounds aesthetically appealing. At least to me. Not that aesthetics are all that matter. I just wouldn't wanna drive a baked potato cross country and campgrounds and rv parks may not take it seriously.
There are a lot of foodies out there(myself included) who would love driving a baked potato. I personally wouldn't care all that much what a bus looked like so long as I was warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #18
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
these days, a pork chop covered bus would be better, and safer. kinda like a force field that kept certain American hating peoples from getting too close.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Thank you for the replies. I know there are lots of spray coatings out there. I was just hoping to find some examples of people who have actually used it on their bus or at least experimented with it. And maybe have a how to or even a pro/con list. Something to get me pointed in the right direction. I figured it was a long shot because I didn't see any stucco covered looking busses in the gallery. But I though perhaps that could merely be due to the cost. It would be interesting to see how that stuff stands up to the abuse of wind and vibration of being on a mobile vehicle. Or even how the vehicles handling changes.
Most people on here converting a skoolie aren't willing to spend the money for good converting material, let alone 5 to 7 grand for spray foam for the exterior. Many of the crappy shortcuts demonstrated due to cost, are really unfortunate.

Spray foam weighs nothing. No handling changes would be detectable.

Delamination should not be a issue from vibration due to the foam having almost no weight, as long as the surface was clean and dry.

As a over kill, Extra anchor's could easily be installed in the outer skin to help the spray foam stay in place.

Wind should not be a issue, as most commercial buildings here are built to withstand 150 kmh winds.

Quote:
Expand your imagination a bit. Most commercial buildings here now finish the walls and roof with Styrofoam. The walls they simply shave smooth, apply a fiberglass mesh, and coat with a tinted plaster. It looks so good, you don't even realize what material they used.

The bus would be no different. Spray, shave to shape, fiberglass mesh, then a coat of fiberglass or just good UV proof paint, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganvegabond View Post
There are a lot of foodies out there(myself included) who would love driving a baked potato. I personally wouldn't care all that much what a bus looked like so long as I was warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
This.

I didn't care about what was being worn by the cool crowd in school, I sure don't care now. If your happy with it, that's all that matters. Other peoples problems are their problems, not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
these days, a pork chop covered bus would be better, and safer. kinda like a force field that kept certain American hating peoples from getting too close.
Nice, I just about spit my coffee on my lap top. lol.

Tell Obama to line up pigs at the border. It will keep America safe from terrorism.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
Bus Geek

After all is said and done, once you step foot in a skoolie with a 2 foot roof raise, a standard height roof is just not enough.

It takes away that claustrophobia,

Leaves enough room for proper insulation in the roof,

Room to vault the ceiling, This eliminates the tricky curve of the ceiling many have trouble attaching finishing materials to.

Insulate the floor,

Install windows you can look out while standing,

Install a full size door at floor height, Saving 12 to 16 square feet of floor space, ect.

In my books a skoolie conversion is only half done without the lifted roof.

Nat