Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Insulating underneath

Is it possible to insulate under the floor in order to not take away headroom in the bus?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
If its underneath the floor, the only place is UNDER the bus. It would not interfere with interior headroom at all.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Has anyone done this?
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
I just don't see how you're going to insulate under the bus. Spray it on? you're not going to hit the entire floor, and thermal bridging will get you via the frame
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
It has been done successfully. When my dad built his skoolie he had the drivetrain out of his bus. Prepped the undercarriage and spray foamed. They used something like rhino lining on top of it for protection. I was just under his bus a few months ago and it is holding up well. It has probably been on for about ten years.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:16 AM   #6
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Yes-

My Bluebird was sprayfoamed at the factory before the body was put on the frame. Floors, walls and ceiling. They even did under the wheel wells.

Is quiet and cozy.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Skoolie

Would this be possible in a bus with the drivetrain still intact? Is this a DIY project?What type of spray foam?Special tools necessary to install?
Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
Would this be possible in a bus with the drivetrain still intact? Is this a DIY project?What type of spray foam?Special tools necessary to install?
You don't want to bury the wires and hoses, but I don't know what your bus is like underneath. Crawl under and look is there space between the ribs? I think it's possible.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
Bus Nut

CaptSquid - I have not been out to Montana for over a decade (maybe 2) - How tough would it be to transplant from Florida to Montana? Can a person survive a winter there without any major insulation work on the bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
If its underneath the floor, the only place is UNDER the bus. It would not interfere with interior headroom at all.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
It could be done depending on what the bottom of your bus looks like, DIY spray foam would do the trick. I would at the least remove all wiring and hoses and find a different way to support them possibly some conduit secured under the foam. prep the undercarriage then spray it. The drive shaft could be removed easy enough and wrap everything else you don't want foam on. It would be a lot of work but possible.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Dog Rescuer, yes, it is possible to transplant from Flahdah to Montana. However, you may need a blood thickener if you transplant during the colder months. I would recommend moving during the warm months, thereby acclimatizing your body gradually instead of an instant shock to the system.

As for your vehicle, just get the floor carpeted and padded and add insulation to the walls, minimum of 1". Buy Wave 8 heaters and some Federbetten from https://www.betten-anne.de. Federbetten are German feather bed comforters - 5 minutes under one of them and you'll be warm as toast. German bedrooms are NOT heated.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Ah yes - the feather down blankets. I love those - I spent a decade in Switzerland - and when visiting friends in Germany - they would open their windows at night to allow fresh air in the house - any time of the year. Gave that nice fresh feeling.
I was in Montana and New Hampshire for many many years - but 14 years in Florida has made be shiver when it drops below 50!
I need out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Dog Rescuer, yes, it is possible to transplant from Flahdah to Montana. However, you may need a blood thickener if you transplant during the colder months. I would recommend moving during the warm months, thereby acclimatizing your body gradually instead of an instant shock to the system.

As for your vehicle, just get the floor carpeted and padded and add insulation to the walls, minimum of 1". Buy Wave 8 heaters and some Federbetten from https://www.betten-anne.de. Federbetten are German feather bed comforters - 5 minutes under one of them and you'll be warm as toast. German bedrooms are NOT heated.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
Bus Nut

If you are being very thorough about insulating under the floor, make sure you check the temperature tolerance of the spray that you are using. There are some that will tolerate the heat of the engine or exhaust system but these do not provide as high an R value as those that can't. You might need to use two kinds of insulation.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote