Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Insulation

Thanks for the excellent information, Smitty!!!

<edit>
Just wanted to add a great link to information about foam board insulation:
http://www.homeconstructionimproveme...lation-values/

To paraphrase,
  • Expanded Polystyrene Foam (similar to packing peanuts) has an R value of 3.6 to 4.0 per inch of thickness & is least expensive.[/*:m:17g8hxmm]
  • Extruded Polystyrene Foam (pink or blue board) has an R value of 4.5 to 5.0 per inch of thickness & is moderately priced.[/*:m:17g8hxmm]
  • Polyisocyanurate (usually w/ foil facing) has an R value of 7.0 to 8.0 per inch of thickness & is most expensive.[/*:m:17g8hxmm]

Now if I could only find that Polyisocyanurate stuff, I'd be set!!!

<edit #2>
One more link... this time for Reflectix foil rolls. This is a PDF.
http://www.reflectixinc.com/literatu...t%207%2004.pdf

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

This is definitely a consideration for ours too when we get it home. One of the many 'important' things on the list. Our windows are not all 'skinned' in and the walls are bare from what I can see. They only insulated to back bedroom with that roll out insulation (the kind that itches). As i'm way not a pro, I thought that foam board insulation would be the best for Mark and I. We're going to be doing the work while living in it (at a CG, no less) so we have to be sneaky.. I'm going to find a metal guy to do the cut outs for me one window at a time once I decide how many to close up. Then the insulation..
How do you guys feel about the spray kind? One might consider that in the after aspect of going back later and filling the spaces with the blow-in kind of insulation... just a thought...what do you think?
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

That's actually very funny! All very good points to consider though, and while 'camping' and 'converting' at the same time I was assuming that the powers that be here would frown upon serious construction in the middle of their family campground..Lmao! I'd much rather do the foam board as it's much less messy
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Spray foam really requires you take everything down to the outer skin & ribs to be effective. Because the nozzles will seal within 15 seconds of releasing the trigger, you will need to have as continuous a spray as possible. If you're living in the bus while converting it, don't use spray foam.

On the other hand... Slow rise foam may be a better option. You must be very careful not to blow out your walls, and like the spray foam, you will have to have a lot of spare nozzles available to switch out between sprays. But it's super effective at filling voids.

For both products, take a look at both Handi-foam and Tiger-foam.
http://www.fomo.com/ and/or http://www.tigerfoam.com/

If you are going to do any construction on the bus, I'd follow Smitty's advice and just drive to the hardware store first thing in the morning, park it, and just spend the day in the parking lot building. If you can stay at the far reaches of the lot and be circumspect (i.e., not leave scraps lying on the ground while working), no one should give you any trouble. At the end of the day, pack everything back up and drive home to the campground!

Good luck guys!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky
What do most of you think is a better option for a bus then, Wool inulation or foam board?
While wool is a great personal insulator in the form of clothing and blankets, I prefer foam or some other synthetic insulation because it won't hold moisture. Foil covered insulation should be only one of many layers - they can be mixed types.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Ob1
Skoolie

Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I bought a 4X50 roll of Reflectix at Lowes, made a windshield screen out of it. It worked so well I cut panels to fit each of my windows. They claim an R8.9 value.

I also cut pieces for a few windows in my house, in rooms that seldom get used, made a big difference.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Ob1
Skoolie

Quite possible, there wasnt enough light, the print was small, there was something in my eyes, pollen was heavy that day...!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Ob1
Skoolie

That stuff looks to be better than the Reflectix, or at least thicker.

www.reflectixinc.com

I got mine at Lowes, you can probably get it at any large home improvement store.