Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Year: 54
Coachwork: crown
Chassis: super coach
Engine: 220 cummins
insulation ????

Ok ,Im using slow rise foam in the roof ,spray foam in the walls and need advise on my floor ..Im also thinking of covering the walls with that radiant barrier.
radiant suggest using only that on the floor.I have the original 3/4 ply on the floor now. Any advise ??

jackling54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Re: insulation ????

well how much effort should i put into the floor insulation ? If any ! I want to put 3/4 r-max down ,then put 1/2 tongue and grove over that and just sandwich it down with screws.will be enough ? Do i even need to do that ? I don't want to get this wrong,im in to over doing things and don't want to kill my head room.so I'm looking for help before I " just go for it.Any suggestions on how much is enough or too much.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

o ya...ok well week long trip in the winter for now ( not below 20 degrees but it can get over 100 +) ,but plan on keeping this in my family for another 30 plus years( so u never no where ill end up travling too) not to much ice fishing in Alaska for us,but even though im over doing the ac/heating. I want to stay on par for the most i can do on the ceiling and walls. 1 1/2 " slow rise foam in the roof is all i have room for and About 2" max of spay foam on the walls.So im trying to not go too over board on the floor ,just defiantly don't want to kick my-self later.I keep reading on here that the roof and the walls are the most important ,and if thoughts are not insulated well that the floor don't matter much. Thanks Smitty
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can also insulate from below. You can never have TOO MUCH insulation. Cut polyiso (4X8 foam board sheathing) to fit and then fill in with can foam... you might want to skin over that with lightweight aluminum flashing (cut with a pair of household scissors) or perhaps Tyvek if you can figure out how to keep it up, where exposed to protect from dirt/bugs/critters. Manufactured RV's use something that looks like commercial greenhouse ground cover "cloth" (but it's not as sturdy). you can add insulation to the ceiling from out side as well (George Myers did although I would have used more than 1" polyiso and used a vinyl sheet with elastometric roof coating rather than metal... some of the things George has come up with scares me... I have his "Bus Converters Bible") http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/1...tml?1165275072. If you are planning on putting a roof deck up, you can cut down on the heat gain/loss by putting a couple sheets of THICK foam insulation under the decking... think building a floating deck on a lake.

Expandable foam needs AIR to help it cure and expand. While it sounds neat to be able to squirt a bit of expanding foam (like Great Stuff) into a hole in the ceiling and upright tube, the fact remains that you have to drill a lot of holes in order for the foam to have enough air for it to expand. Been there, done that (after listening to others -- engineers -- that I thought knew better) only to discover the stuff didn't expand more than a couple of inches (but pumped out the entry hole rather nicely) unless there was a gaping hole close to where I was squirting the stuff in at.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks ,guys for all the info...ill be starting Monday morning and ill let you know how it goes...
Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

So, what would be the best for insulating the roof ribs??? I've noticed that mine will get condensation just where the roof ribs are... I've been thinking about using the great stuff foam... Anyone have other ideas that worked really well...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Or do what George Myers did. Which I suspect is the main reason he insulated his roof by adding a layer to the outside. Around the time he put that article out, a lot of the coach owners were complaining about the ribs and rivets acting like heat sinks and the discovery of icicles hanging off of screw heads and rivets inside their coaches. I don't know of anyone else who built an extra layer on their coaches (most do a roof raise anyway). They were probably a little leery of doing something like that on a bus where the shell alone costs between $10K and $50K (and those are old prices).
Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

i heard a suggestion about coating ether the inside roof or the outside with rhino-liner,to stop the condensation.Any thoughts on how well this would create a thermal barrier?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek

There is no "cheap, easy" way of stopping the condensation. You need a thermal break. Google "Thermal Break" and you will come up with lots of info about it and what to do about it. Your choice as to how you deal with it. You just have to face the fact that you are in a metal tube. Inside/outside temp differences will affect it. We are just coating the roof with a couple coats of Snow roof coating. It seems to keep the heat down very well (along with a little sound deadening and will seal up any leaky rivets). The rivets don't heat up as bad so hopefully there won't be a condensation problem at the rib area. We also seem to have a good insulation in our ceiling. Ceiling stays cool to touch under the NM sun.