Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 3126 caterpillar diesel
Insulation? Add more, bus be enough,

I know the bus have insulation in the side panels. I'm not sure about the roof though. How much insulation if any do you really need? Would using the insulated panels and puting like carpet on the floor would that be enough to keep it warm? I'm not going to a super cold region. Ok there will be time I have to use the furnace more but I'm expecting tempeture to drop to 30-20. I guess what im trying to ask is should I strip it and insulate it more thicker or better quality or would it be alright with what it has?

Mudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The insulation in there minimal for transporting kids to school in conjunction with heat or AC that is designed to make a 20* difference over ambient. You need to think of more than just not being in super cold areas, the insulation is just as important in keeping temps down. So if you plan on staying in it for any period of time, it pays to improve the insulation.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Our skoolie is used for recreational use at the moment. The factory insulation seemed good enough even on our cross country trip where we encountered quite a few sub-freezing overnight stays and were fine. I did add R-13 pink insulation to the walls I framed over the factory walls and added 1/4" insulation under the subfloor. If anything, the bus is quieter from road noise.

If you are keeping the original windows, then even replacing all the insulation won't make much of a difference in my opinion. You have 2 choices when doing a skoolie......

Option 1 - Keep factory windows and insulation or replace if moldy or add if not present. Add insulation to walls where you can and floor.

Option 2 - Lose the windows and use insulated RV windows minimally. Gut entire bus and spray foam insulate it. Insulate floor.

These are the only 2 options that make sense.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 3126 caterpillar diesel
I see what u mean. I do plan to live in it long term. So thinking of the long term I should reinforce or add insulation where I can.i recon I will remove the majority of the windows which can be replaced with more insulation. Thank u for ur response.
Mudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Our bus is a 1990 Bluebird. When i pullednpanels, there was almost no insulation. I pulled it all and sprayed foamed. We also pulled all windows and skinned. Added back 6 rv windows.

As of now, it is 13 degrees outside. We are plugged in amd stationary until April/May. The bus stays pretty warm with just our 1500 watt heater.

We have been in heat up to the high 90's. The fans and minisplit kept it cool enough.

If your going full time, I would recommend adding insulation.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've been full timing and traveling for 8 months now. Outside temps have ranged from single digits into the low 90's while we've been on the road.

Here's what we did for insulation:
- Floor - pulled original bus flooring up replaced with 1" foam board insulation, 3/4" plywood, 1/4" hardwood flooring, throw rugs
- Walls - below windows pulled metal walls and original insulation and replaced with 3" foam board insulation, 1/4" luan, 1/4" beadboard
- Ceiling - left original ceiling up, covered with 1/2" foam board insulation and 1/4" luan

We left all of our original windows and wouldn't have it any other way. The natural light, views, solar gain heat when it's cold, and ventilation when it's hot, have been invaluable. We have insulated shades for the windows that do a very good job of keeping the heat/cold in or out.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
If you are keeping the original windows, then even replacing all the insulation won't make much of a difference in my opinion. You have 2 choices when doing a skoolie......
it's easy to keep the windows usable when you want them and insulated when you don't. We cut 1" XPS panels to fit inside each window, they pop in when you want them and pop out when you don't.