Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Solar Reflective Paint

Thank you to all those who have posted on this topic. Very helpful.
Regarding direct solar radiation, I agree that a roof deck is a solid option to block or reduce direct sunlight, to the top of the bus. Also, there is a such thing as Solar Reflective paint, that usually contains silica and either Titanium oxide or aluminium oxide, which are suppose to reflect Infrared light (responsible for heat) and UV light (responsible for material degradation). Most of these paints are only available to companies and corporations at wholesale. However, Rustoleum makes a paint additive called 'Solar Reflective' which contains silica and aluminum oxide, to be mixed with latex or oil based house paint. I ordered some and plan to paint my entire 33' Bluebird TC2000 with it. I will post my experience/findings.

Ace Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
roof inside bus won't be hot if ya just put a 1/2 inch foil backed insulboard attached to inside roof of bus. 10 bucks a sheet.
This sounds like a pretty good idea.

AS long as the roof doesn't leak, I don't think you'd have any problem just putting it up over the existing ceiling using Automotive Door Panel Fasteners:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-45680

to hold it up ... no glue. With the benefit you could take it down pretty easy if a leak developed. Some duct tape could be used to fill seams.

It might be pretty efficient too, given the air gap between the ceiling and the roof.

I think the real problem might be making it attractive.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote