Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Insulation.... an editiorial.

Originally Posted by Accordion
I have seen a large pile of grass clippings catch fire in the middle of a New England winter.
Ah, the power of composting! That's why folks in the medieval periods would use grass and hay in their shoes during the winter. The decomposition of the vegetable matter helped keep the feet warm. Except for the possibility of unexpected fire, it sounds like a fairly ingenious method you've discovered to keep the bus warmer in the middle of winter.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Site Team
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72

Originally Posted by chev49
you have to be really careful spray foaming under the bus as there are going to be bolts, brake lines and so forth that will be very hard to discover if insulated.
all of my bus wiring and air lines etc. run along the frame which i do not intend spraying. havent decided I if im going to fit the tanks and remove them to spray or spray over them. Probably spray over them in case I use the bus in cold weather. Great for sound proofing. The wiring I add under the bus is minimal and will be in a chase.
Living the dream in the Kootenays
freakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Bus Nut
Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Originally Posted by bapos
.....I think adding 6" to the floor is a great idea but it would reduce my head room ...
Crawl under your bus. Look up. THAT'S where we will be putting the floor insulation. Not on the inside. I would like to fill the space of the beams with insulation when add a protective sheet of something to protect the insulation sheets from damage. By going with multiple layers, we can stagger the seams and reduce any air flow. The only insulation we add on the inside will be the side walls.
Considering that for me, headroom is at a premium even in a bus with a 6'-6" ceiling, Lorna's idea sounds like a wonderful alternative to stealing vertical height by insulating on the inside. I'm curious about how to keep moisture and road salts from getting trapped between the insulation and bus metal, and if surface rust must be removed first.

The necessity of floor insulation is made obvious by my experience. Winnebago didn't add insulation to the van cab floor; they just put unpadded shag carpet down. The doghouse has plenty of factory (Dodge) fiberglass insulation. All that engine heat is sucked under the rig and out the back. Between that and the location of the exhaust pipes, it got hot enough between the cab seats to melt chocolate inside my girlfriend's purse on the floor. The coach floor is insulated well enough to be comfortable in the summer. (We don't winter camp.)
"Any action for which there is no logical explanation will be deemed 'company policy' - or 'city ordinance.' "
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360

We can vouch for the spheres, these things are real, bought 12 pounds for $112 and mixed with elastomeric paint for the floor and roof... metal floor and roof went from too hot to hold a hand on in direct sunlight to cool to the touch with the first coat...we put two coats on. We'll be adding it to the primer on the entire outside and to the interior paint we put on the inside. According to hytech, apply to the outside for lower cooling costs in the summer and inside for lower heating costs in the winter. Vacuum "filled" ceramic beads. They work. As for the floor we're going with 1/2" insulation (R3 for the pink stuff) and 1" of combined flooring over the ceramic paint...and we'll head south for the winter
"That's,. like,.. your opinion, man...." - the Dude. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Good info, but much still missing. When I feel like typing more I have some good info to add.

Posted for educational purposes only.
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
Bus Crazy
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Nat, I for one would really appreciate reading your thoughts on insulation. Hope you find time to type soon. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E

Just a quick question on flooring. What type of flooring seems to work out the best overall for year round use? Have been considering using the artificial wood glue down planks. Carpet I feel would wind up being a mess in the winter but would probably be a good insulator.
jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote