Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: international
Chassis: Front engine
Engine: mechanical DT466
Rated Cap: 71+
Insurance question

Hi everyone,
Few insurance questions.
1. Does anyone recommend a certain company?
2. I am doing most of the construction myself, would it be worthwhile to document (photos) the process for insurance purposes?
3. Do insurance companies need to see that an licensed electrician or professional has completed the work? or proof of any form of compliance?
4.I have heard stories about roof raises and roof decks being an issue...does anyone have insight into the matter? I plan on possible raising the roof and definitely doing a roof deck.
5. Has anyone found a company which will insure them during the build? Progressive tells me if I remove one seat I will be dropped and no longer covered.

Thanks as always for the help

Thetireddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've been happy with State Farm, $303/yr for full comp/coll. They only took it after completion, though it's not complete. Have so far not asked for any photo/video documentation. With that type coverage and cost I forfeited a deck and wood burner, which were deal breakers on the insurance. If I want to take a chair or 2 on the roof for an event, I can safely do it without a deck. I don't drink, so I'm safe on the roof.

Only provide completed pics of 4 of the 5 requirements. Insurance doesn't ask for any build certifications.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: international
Chassis: Front engine
Engine: mechanical DT466
Rated Cap: 71+
That’s great to hear except for the roof and stove situation, I definitely wanted both. Hopefully I will get some other suggestions that allow it. Thanks
Thetireddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
No roof deck for me. I don't need to drink to fall off of the roof.... I have the X-ray's to prove it

Things do vary by state even with the same carrier. The last converted bus I switched to RV insurance they wanted full interior and exterior pictures.

I would suggest that you start with your current insurance agent. If they are not able to help you check with other skoolies in CT.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
No roof deck to me. I don't need to drink to fall off of the roof.... I have the X-ray's to prove it

Things do vary by state even with the same carrier. The last converted bus I switched to RV insurance they wanted full interior and exterior pictures.

I would suggest that you start with your current insurance agent. If they are not able to help you check with other skoolies in CT.
Today I received my cards and declaration pages from State Farm for my full coverage. At this point they have not asked for any pics or videos.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Today I received my cards and declaration pages from State Farm for my full coverage. At this point they have not asked for any pics or videos.
Hadn't thought about it before but SF in WA has asked for pictures of every vehicle I have insured.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
This truly depends on where you live, seems the Americans have real **** insurance options. My experience is as follows. 1998 motorhome, 26 bucks a month full coverage. No questions asked. Never will they look twice nor will they require photos or anything of such. That being said do your research with the company you want. Remeber it's a rv/motorhome now. Not a school bus or skoolie. Legally it's always in the technicalities. Many grey areas when it comes to insurance and will be the case for many years. For you insurance babies out there, if you want to follow the rules then a skoolie isn't for you.
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
company, coverage, insurance, liability, progressive