Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Internal pics

I'm looking for pics of how the interior walls are constructed in a blue bird 1998. Anyone know of a site or a thread with pics?

Thanks!!

Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
This may help...Been a while since I've watched it.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I also found a thread after a while of digging with detailed pics of a roof raise.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Send me a PM if you need any more detail... My year 2000 Blue Bird is currently in the shop with both the interior and exterior sheet metal removed.. looks quite similar to the one on the Youtube video above, so it's easy to take pictures.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'm looking at either a 1998 or the other is a 1999. But I think I got what I was looking for from another thread. I just was looking at how the ribs are formed and how they join the floor. But I guess if you happen to be there by it a pic or to would be nice to look at since I'm guessing what you have is a bit closer to what I'm looking at.

Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Here are a few I had already on photobucket. They're mostly related to my roof raise in which I disconnected the ribs from the chair rail instead of slicing them mid-span as is more commonly done, but anyway they do show the base connection.

In this latter picture there are 10 holes through the chair rail. There was a 1/4" solid rivet in each of them! Most of the ribs in my bus are secured with just four rivets, but those around the doors and those where the chair rail sections overlap (like shown here) used 6 additional rivets.

The ribs are probably roll formed for factory production, but I had some straight sections custom-made for my raise. I believe these were formed with a press brake. In the upper picture front and center a piece of factory channel is shown together with the extension I had made. The ribs on my bus have a U section inserted inside them, but most Blue Birds aren't this way. Most are open on the back like the extension piece is. I suspect it's because my bus was built for public transit and had windows about 60" wide rather than the usual 28" wide (?) used in school buses. Due to the wide windows, half the ribs don't connect to the floor and I think this is why they've reinforced those that do with this U channel insert.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!! I picked her up and this helped out quite a bit on my planning. Lots a work ahead but it should payoff in the end.