Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
I saw a guy on here (I forget who) rigged a second tank with a pump that he set on one of those timer switches. Once his primary tank went down, he turned to 30min and that dumped his full secondary into primary.

I'm planning for a diesel coolant heater for heated floors, so I'm considering a second tank at least for the heater to about draining the primary. Whether I get a small one that's a few gallons just for the heater or get a second, bigger one and rig it to dump into the primary is still a topic of conversation.

Your mention of saddle tank is actually very intriguing. I could hook the heater to the second tank, and have the bottom of that tank be around 1/4 of the primary tank. That would prevent being high and dry as far as fuel is concerned! I'm showing a bit of ignorance here, but could you touch on why the add on tank's top doesn't have to be exactly at the primary top? I'm assuming I only need to fill the primary and it'll fill the secondary from the bottom free flow tube, letting the air out of the cap at the top, but what stops the fuel from coming out of the add on cap in this scenario? Am I completely misunderstanding this idea?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Gauge shows quarters of a tank. Weird that your last 1/4 is smaller than the first, though that means nothing. I always try and calculate a new vehicles tank by running the first tank dry to see where it actually runs out, when it actually hits zero. Not good to do on a diesel.On my truck I used to fill it up and I would get 50miles before it came down to the F, and then 50 miles each quarter till it hits E, and then 40 miles more before it ran out. I had the fuel pump replaced a couple years ago and it's totally changed. Now I get 120 miles before it hits F, and then it rapidly goes through the 4 quarters, but still at least goes past empty before running out.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
When using two tanks with a free flowing system. The system usually isn't free flowing enough that you can fill one side at the pump and it fills the other. The reason that is is for slosh and overflow.

You honestly want the tank tops to be even, but that's sometimes impossible unless you're using duplicate tanks. The top of the 2nd tank can be slightly below the primary tank's top, as long as the vent is at the same height and the cap seals. It cannot be above the primary top, otherwise, upon filling, you'll be forcing fuel out the primary's vent.

If you have vented caps, the tops have to be even.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
When using two tanks with a free flowing system. The system usually isn't free flowing enough that you can fill one side at the pump and it fills the other. The reason that is is for slosh and overflow.

You honestly want the tank tops to be even, but that's sometimes impossible unless you're using duplicate tanks. The top of the 2nd tank can be slightly below the primary tank's top, as long as the vent is at the same height and the cap seals. It cannot be above the primary top, otherwise, upon filling, you'll be forcing fuel out the primary's vent.

If you have vented caps, the tops have to be even.
Okay, so I'd basically only be able to fill it to the lowest cap/vent, hence why the tops should be approximately equal. That makes sense why only the bottoms need to be connected, at the cap will vent in air as the fuel is consumed and the level drops. That's very helpful, thank you!

I assume the connection at the bottom would have to be somewhat flexible so that it doesn't shatter on the road and cause a very expensive and unfortunate problem.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
They're usually nylon fuel hose, protected by a piece of angle iron attached to the frame. If you're off-roading or something then this wouldn't work. But for on road vehicles it's fine.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote