Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its actually called National School Bus Chrome Yellow. Or National School Bus Glossy Yellow.
FL doesn't seem to care if you repaint or not. I've driven around in yellow buses quite a bit and they're basically invisible to most folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think it's a Federal thing that applies to all school buses.
It varies by state. IT IS NOT A FEDERAL THING. MD requires the bus to be "not school bus yellow" by "45%". I don't know what they would say if you painted it canary yellow and 44%

The MD code doesn't call out the National School Bus Chrome Yellow nor does it give a color code. And I don't remember if it 45% non-yellow or the remaining 55% non-yellow. In either case my bus passed inspection with the current paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
green1.jpg  

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So if it is legal in my state or the state the bus is registered in to keep it school bus yellow, can another state bust your balls about it if you are traveling through?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Once again...based only on my "understanding"...there is reciprocity. Just as some states require annual inspections and some do not...the ones that do require it only have jurisdiction within their own state on their own state's registered vehicles. Not on any passing through.
You don't have to get remarried driving or even living in a different state. YOu don't have to swap licenses to pass thru the state.

About the only laws that don't fall under reciprocity are the ones that are covered by the Constitution. Try bearing arms in Commiefornia or any of the other wanna-bes (NY, NJ, MD, MA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
While it is true that there are some states that do not care, if you are going to be traveling in any state that does care, why draw attention to yourself? I guarantee that if a LEO stops you because it is illegal in his state and, you happen to be able to convince him that it is OK in yours, he will be able to find something to ticket you for if he wants to. NONE of us is 100% legal. Why take the chance?
That cop can go to hell. That said, accept the ticket and see him in court. The judge, if not related to said jughead, will toss the case and the cop will get an a$$ chewing. Whatever else the cop cited should be tossed as well.

If your state doesn't require it to get converted/titled then why bother if you don't mind yellow?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 71
The people who sold us our bus said that they know someone in FL who was always driving the same route back and forth in a bus that hadn't been repainted and eventually he was charged with a misdemeanor for not recoloring the bus. Apparently he honestly didn't know it was supposed to be recolored, and he convinced the judge of that and the judge let him off, but he did actually have to go in and convince the judge of that.
olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by olives View Post
The people who sold us our bus said that they know someone in FL who was always driving the same route back and forth in a bus that hadn't been repainted and eventually he was charged with a misdemeanor for not recoloring the bus. Apparently he honestly didn't know it was supposed to be recolored, and he convinced the judge of that and the judge let him off, but he did actually have to go in and convince the judge of that.
Wonder who peed on that cops corn flakes that morning.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
Rated Cap: 24
On this note... I'm having a hard time getting paint to adhere to the surface of my bus. I'm assuming it's powder coated - I've sanded at 220 - humidity is 65%. Any knowledge on painting a powder coated surface!?!?
CampJessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJessop View Post
On this note... I'm having a hard time getting paint to adhere to the surface of my bus. I'm assuming it's powder coated - I've sanded at 220 - humidity is 65%. Any knowledge on painting a powder coated surface!?!?
I can assure you your bus is not powder coated. If it were, prep would be the same, scuff it with 220 or finer grit paper to give the surface a "tooth" for the new paint to adhere to.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I recently watched a show on our local PBS station about Thomas busses. They are built here in NC. According to Thomas, school bus yellow is not required by any state for their school busses. It is just preferred.

If the color is not required, seems repainting shouldn't be either.
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapuck View Post
I recently watched a show on our local PBS station about Thomas busses. They are built here in NC. According to Thomas, school bus yellow is not required by any state for their school busses. It is just preferred.

Yours doesn't have to, but mine can't? More research is required.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So if it is legal in my state or the state the bus is registered in to keep it school bus yellow, can another state bust your balls about it if you are traveling through?
NO!

You are governed by the registration laws and laws regulating school buses in your state of registration/residence.

It is a good idea just in case you have some "Splaining" to do to nice officer especially when traveling out of state in your bus with the original paint/livery/markings to carry a copy of any laws/regulations concerning school buses and their operation in none-school use situations in your state of registration/residence

The ONE exception to my NO answer I can think of could possibly be that you lived in a state with NO school bus paint/marking restrictions or regulations for none in-service school buses. The bus you purchased was from a state WITH paint/marking restrictions and that bus was still in the original paint/markings from that state with paint restrictions and you were traveling through that same state with your out of state registered bus which was in originally in service in that state with paint/marking restrictions with your bus still having the restricted states in-service bus paint/markings.

It would be possible/probably that a knowledgeable office might shut you down as you are driving a bus that is still painted/marked in their states school bus paint/livery/markings which is against their state laws.

In my opinion the odd's of this happening with a school bus is about like the odds of winning the lottery UNLESS you drive the same road in Florida everyday where the same officer see's you as noted in a post above!

An example of this would be the the issue that has arisen in the vintage police car restoration world:

In Florida it is against the law to Operate or "Cause To Be Colored" that's what the law says meaning painting/repainting a vehicle in Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) paint scheme/livery/markings and drive/operate that vehicle on the streets in the State of Florida. ALL the State Patrol officers and most local yocals know this and will shut you down where you are at and tow the vehicle if you drive a vehicle in their state's FHP paint livery/markings. Same in California and a number of other states.

Say you own a vintage 1986 FHP Special Service Package Mustang that is restored in FHP colors with or without FHP markings and you live in Georgia. No biggie in GA. Drive where you want to go!

Just don't cross the state line into Florida UNLESS that restored FHP Mustang is on a trailer! It's OK if it's on a trailer, going to a show, hauling it through the state of Florida or whatever. Just don't drive the damn car in Florida!

Buy a surplus FHP trooper car in Florida at the state surplus auction that is still in FHP paint livery. You must trailer/ship the vehicle from the auction location. You cannot drive it out the gate! Auto dealer or individual it makes no difference.

Now I don't for a minute think most officer's in states with bus paint restrictions know they have em HOWEVER you never know and it just might be wise to be prepared if your bus is still in it's original livery and you have a bus registered in a state with restrictions OR your bus came from a state with paint/marking restrictions and you just might travel there one day in your bus with its original paint/markings!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
i know its all anecdotal, but... My short bus I drove 15k miles in full yellow paint. I painted the bottom half blue and did another 10k, then finally painted the top half white. Now everyone loves my bus.

I also drove a few hundred miles over the course of a month through heavily patrolled stretch of highway without a license plate because I forgot to move it back from the big bus after a trip to the filling station...

Personally, I'd rather not keep a bus yellow because I don't think it's an attractive color. And the attention I get seems to reflect that, I constantly have people coming up to me complimenting the bus and telling me how cool it looks and how some day they're gonna do something like that (but let's be honest, they won't) and ask about our adventures.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Smile International School Bus Yellow

I'd rather have the yellow than the peeling Orange on Pit Stop, its disgusting!

She needs paint--anything but GREEN which I loathe

In BC as far as I know, we are required to paint. I haven't seen any conversions in the standard yellow unless someone JUST bought them

Cheers, Lois
yugogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
Bus Nut

After 3 yrs of driving our bus -all names were blacked out, and a simple lettering and cartoon pigs drawn on the sides and rear. I was pulled over and sited. Even though my DOT inspector said it was fine, I was told 19 officers would be fine with the changes we made, but it’s that 1 that will site you. So I significantly modified (my classiness inspector asked me to change my painted in anger first draft) so - painted the center of the hood blue, where it was black is now royal deep blue. John Deere yellow over some of the other areas - plus we added back the lettering and cartoon pigs. But we’re tied up in court over the ticket. It’s not worth the 3 hours to drive to their court (different county) and fightbthe $290 fee.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapuck View Post

Having researched this, there are *AT LEAST* 3 states that require, *BY LAW*, that school buses are painted "School Bus Yellow". White roofs are allowed to help reduce the heat in warm months.

Quote:
I know we are legally required to change the color to anything but NSBY, but I see lots of Skoolies out there that have never been painted. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for having their bus yellow?

Having also researched this in Georgia, school buses being converted to other uses are required to be repainted, however, I believe it's rarely enforced. It does not specify if a full repaint is required, the intent is to ensure it is not easily confused with a school bus still in school service. I expect many states are similar.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #34
Bus Nut

In the California vehicle code it says something non descriptive like ...must be painted to not look like a school bus.....
Old 07-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #35
Bus Nut

It just needs a through sanding, what type of paint are you using? Sand or scuff, wipe down with MEK or acetone, mask and spray.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Dirtdoctor and others, The Ca vehicle code section 27603 clearly states that "school bus yellow etc" must be changed:

"When a motor vehicle formerly used as a school bus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830 ) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for school buses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage."

In Ca, the Highway Patrol is tasked with prescribing the rules by which school buses are equipped as set out in the Ca Code of Regulations Title 13, Div 2, Chapt 6.5/1256.5.

Can't be National School Bus (glossy) yellow in the state. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #37

Quote:
I know we are legally required to change the color to anything but NSBY, but I see lots of Skoolies out there that have never been painted. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for having their bus yellow?
It's OK, as long as you don't follow a particular school bus route and mislead kids into entering your vehicle.
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Dirtdoctor and others, The Ca vehicle code section 27603 clearly states that "school bus yellow etc" must be changed:

"When a motor vehicle formerly used as a school bus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830 ) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for school buses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage."

In Ca, the Highway Patrol is tasked with prescribing the rules by which school buses are equipped as set out in the Ca Code of Regulations Title 13, Div 2, Chapt 6.5/1256.5.

Can't be National School Bus (glossy) yellow in the state. Jack
I'm on my way to the paint shop right now officer.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasuribe View Post
It's OK, as long as you don't follow a particular school bus route and mislead kids into entering your vehicle.
I don't follow I lead the school bus, I get more kids that way.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Seems like it's not even worth it these days, the price per pound has gone down by so much you really gotta pack them in to sell them for much!