Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie
 
yugogypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cobble Hill B.C. Canada
Posts: 57
Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Smile International School Bus Yellow

I'd rather have the yellow than the peeling Orange on Pit Stop, its disgusting!

She needs paint--anything but GREEN which I loathe

In BC as far as I know, we are required to paint. I haven't seen any conversions in the standard yellow unless someone JUST bought them

Cheers, Lois
yugogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 50
After 3 yrs of driving our bus -all names were blacked out, and a simple lettering and cartoon pigs drawn on the sides and rear. I was pulled over and sited. Even though my DOT inspector said it was fine, I was told 19 officers would be fine with the changes we made, but it’s that 1 that will site you. So I significantly modified (my classiness inspector asked me to change my painted in anger first draft) so - painted the center of the hood blue, where it was black is now royal deep blue. John Deere yellow over some of the other areas - plus we added back the lettering and cartoon pigs. But we’re tied up in court over the ticket. It’s not worth the 3 hours to drive to their court (different county) and fightbthe $290 fee.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,078
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapuck View Post
I recently watched a show on our local PBS station about Thomas busses. They are built here in NC. According to Thomas, school bus yellow is not required by any state for their school busses. It is just preferred.

If the color is not required, seems repainting shouldn't be either.

Having researched this, there are *AT LEAST* 3 states that require, *BY LAW*, that school buses are painted "School Bus Yellow". White roofs are allowed to help reduce the heat in warm months.


Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I know we are legally required to change the color to anything but NSBY, but I see lots of Skoolies out there that have never been painted. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for having their bus yellow?

Having also researched this in Georgia, school buses being converted to other uses are required to be repainted, however, I believe it's rarely enforced. It does not specify if a full repaint is required, the intent is to ensure it is not easily confused with a school bus still in school service. I expect many states are similar.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 50
In the California vehicle code it says something non descriptive like ...must be painted to not look like a school bus.....
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 50
It just needs a through sanding, what type of paint are you using? Sand or scuff, wipe down with MEK or acetone, mask and spray.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #36
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,066
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Dirtdoctor and others, The Ca vehicle code section 27603 clearly states that "school bus yellow etc" must be changed:

"When a motor vehicle formerly used as a school bus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830 ) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for school buses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage."

In Ca, the Highway Patrol is tasked with prescribing the rules by which school buses are equipped as set out in the Ca Code of Regulations Title 13, Div 2, Chapt 6.5/1256.5.

Can't be National School Bus (glossy) yellow in the state. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I know we are legally required to change the color to anything but NSBY, but I see lots of Skoolies out there that have never been painted. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for having their bus yellow?
It's OK, as long as you don't follow a particular school bus route and mislead kids into entering your vehicle.
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #38
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,431
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Dirtdoctor and others, The Ca vehicle code section 27603 clearly states that "school bus yellow etc" must be changed:

"When a motor vehicle formerly used as a school bus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830 ) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for school buses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage."

In Ca, the Highway Patrol is tasked with prescribing the rules by which school buses are equipped as set out in the Ca Code of Regulations Title 13, Div 2, Chapt 6.5/1256.5.

Can't be National School Bus (glossy) yellow in the state. Jack
I'm on my way to the paint shop right now officer.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #39
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 2,431
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasuribe View Post
It's OK, as long as you don't follow a particular school bus route and mislead kids into entering your vehicle.
I don't follow I lead the school bus, I get more kids that way.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #40
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,542
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Seems like it's not even worth it these days, the price per pound has gone down by so much you really gotta pack them in to sell them for much!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.