Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Seems like it's not even worth it these days, the price per pound has gone down by so much you really gotta pack them in to sell them for much!
I was offered 50 cents a pound on the hoof for my kids once. I held out for a $1 a lb and lost out on the deal. Now I have a 21 yr old I can't get off my couch. Let this be a lesson for others. Don't get greedy.

As for renting them out, it's a better return than zero but you've still gotta slop them. Easier to unload them all at a gas station under the guise of a bathroom break. As soon as they are all off the bus, LEAVE!!! This works for both your own and borrowed kids.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Some of the states I investigated and the list I made for myself. Do you own research: I am not available as an expert witness.

Need to paint:
  • AK
  • AZ (some debate)
  • CA
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Michigan
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • South Dakota

Prolly Do Not Need To Paint
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Montana
  • NV
  • OR
  • VA
  • WA
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
"TO BE OPERATED" kinda negates the reciprocity thing.
Fairly sure that violates FEDERAL interstate commerce laws. Federal law trumps state law.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #64
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Grimm View Post
They can TRY to bust your balls about it, but reciprocity laws concerning motor vehicles allow you to conform to YOUR state's laws, in other states.
IF you are legal in YOUR state, you are legal in OTHER States. Otherwise it would put undue burden on the vehicle owner, and be in violation of a Federal Transportation Statute in my copy of the Federal Motor Safety Administration's handbook (FMCSA)

IF YOU ARE JUST VISITING OR TRANSITING THAT OTHER STATE.

The same applies to emission standards, vehicular inspections etc.
HOWEVER, should you MOVE to that other state, THEN you would be REQUIRED to conform to that new state's laws concerning emissions, inspections and colors for certain vehicles.
I think this is false information and I would like to see some references that document what you claim. I also think following this information could get someone a ticket.

I think you are mixing up laws regarding registration of the vehicle and laws regarding operating the vehicle on roads.

I agree that states have a voluntary reciprocity with vehicle registration and most drivers licenses. That means that if your vehicle has been registered or you have a drivers license in one state, you do not have to get a license or license plates in other states. However, this does not apply universally because if one state (eg KS) allows 14 year olds to drive, they are not allowed to drive in other states (eg MO).

However, if a state has a law that says it is illegal for a private bus to operate on a public road if it is painted NSBY, then it is illegal to operate a private bus on a public road if it is painted NSBY.

In Colorado I can have a red neon light glowing under my car. Even though Kansas has a law against that, my Colorado licence plate gives me a free pass?

In Colorado there are no regulations against studded snow tires. When I drive to Texas, where they are prohibited, I won't get a ticket because I am from Colorado?

When I drive from Colorado into Kansas on an Interstate highway (eg I70) I do not have to abide by the 70mph speed limit. In Colorado the Interstate Highway speed limit is 75.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i-...bus-12296.html
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #65
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Wisconsin can be added to the "No School Bus Yellow" list. Actually the "No Yellow At All" list...

"(4) When a motor vehicle in compliance with sub. (1), s. 347.25 (2), and the rules of the department relating to school bus equipment is no longer operated as a school bus, the registration of the motor vehicle for another purpose may not be permitted until the owner:
(a) Physically removes the signs identifying the vehicle as a school bus, the lights required by s. 347.25 (2) and such other equipment as the department may specify by rule; and
(b) Repaints the entire vehicle to a color other than national school bus glossy yellow or any color commonly referred to as yellow. "
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Wisconsin [:]...the registration of the motor vehicle for another purpose may not be permitted until the owner: ...Repaints the entire vehicle to a color other than...yellow. "
This illustrates the importance of reading the law: here, the law won't let you REGISTER it there if it has a trace of yellow, But it says nothing about an out-of-stater driving through.

Of course, there are likely other laws to look at, too.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrlot View Post
I think this is false information and I would like to see some references that document what you claim. I also think following this information could get someone a ticket.

I think you are mixing up laws regarding registration of the vehicle and laws regarding operating the vehicle on roads.
Ever notice CARB stickers? You do not have to comply with California's hippy laws when driving thru California.

CHAPTER 12
NONRESIDENT VEHICLES

12.000 Introduction
A nonresident vehicle is a vehicle last registered in another state or country.
Any vehicle based in California or primarily used on California highways must be registered in California, even if the vehicle is registered to a nonresident owner. A vehicle is considered to be primarily or regularly used on California highways if it is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period (CVC §4000.4).
When California registration is required, an application for original California registration must be made within 20 days of the date registration became due to avoid penalties or 30 days from the date of sale on the Report of Sale–Used Vehicle (REG 51) form for California dealers (CVC §§4152.5 and 9553(c)(1)).

12.015 California Noncertified Vehicles
A California noncertified vehicle (CNCV), formerly known as 49-state, is manufactured to be first sold in all states, except California, and meets only federal emission standards. A CNCV cannot be registered to a California resident who purchased the vehicle with less than 7,500 miles unless the owner qualified for an exemption. Refer to the CNCV/Direct Import Vehicle Exemptions section in this chapter for exemptions and to the California Noncertified/Direct Import Vehicle Registration Referrals section in this chapter for refusals.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #68
Bus Geek

California would be the first state to "build a wall" if they could... only it would be used to keep vehicles out.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #69
Bus Geek

12.145 Privileges of Nonresidents (CVC §6700)
• The owner of any vehicle, other than a commercial vehicle, of a type subject to registration which is registered in a foreign jurisdiction may operate the vehicle in California until the owner accepts gainful employment in this state or establishes residency in this state, whichever occurs first, provided the vehicle displays valid license plates and has a valid registration issued to the owner, and the owner was a resident of that state at the time of issuance.
• A nonresident owner of a vehicle may operate, or permit operation of, a vehicle in California without obtaining California registration if the vehicle is registered in the place of residence of the owner and displays valid license plates issued by that state. This exemption does not apply if the nonresident owner rents, leases, lends, or otherwise furnishes the vehicle to a California resident for regular use on California highways.
• Any vehicle owned by a nonresident and furnished to a California resident for their regular use within this state must be registered in California within 20 days after first operation of the vehicle in this state by the resident (CVC §4000.4).
• A nonresident registration that does not indicate an expiration date will be considered to expire one year from the date of first use of the vehicle in California. Fees are due immediately and must be paid within 20 days if the owner accepts gainful employment or establishes residency in California (CVC §4152.5).
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrlot View Post
In Colorado I can have a red neon light glowing under my car. Even though Kansas has a law against that, my Colorado licence plate gives me a free pass?
I would say yes. Best case the cop could ask you to turn them off.

Quote:
In Colorado there are no regulations against studded snow tires. When I drive to Texas, where they are prohibited, I won't get a ticket because I am from Colorado?
Passing thru? Yes. It would be unreasonable for them to expect you to change tires upon entering the state.

Quote:
When I drive from Colorado into Kansas on an Interstate highway (eg I70) I do not have to abide by the 70mph speed limit. In Colorado the Interstate Highway speed limit is 75.
No.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Quote:
12.150 Reciprocity
Nonresident Home State Entitles Owner to a Grace Period—The nonresident owner may renew the vehicle registration in the owner’s residence state. The nonresident owner also may operate the vehicle in California during the grace period provided by the residence state without the vehicle becoming subject to California registration.
If the vehicle becomes subject to registration during the grace period (for example, the owner accepts gainful employment or becomes a resident) or the owner decides to obtain California registration, fees are due from the statutory expiration date and must be paid within 20 days to avoid penalties (CVC §4152.5).
Here's the Reciprocity. Granted this is just California but if anyone is going to make their own kingdom with dumba$$ laws, it'll be them.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Here's another wrench in the works. Throw in all the registrations from Vermont to owners who have never lived or even visited Vermont. Calif. would have a field day because while you are registered in another state they require you to be a resident there also.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #73

Year: 2001
Chassis: mid bus
Engine: Chevy 350
Rated Cap: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to IdahoJoe87
Thanks for posting this as I just did some research and found out that you are required to paint your bus a different color in Idaho.

"TITLE 49 MOTOR VEHICLES CHAPTER 14
TRAFFIC — ENFORCEMENT AND GENERAL PROVISIONS
49-1422
(4) When any school bus is sold and is no longer to be used for the transportation of pupils, before it may again be used on the highways of this state it shall be painted a color other than national school bus glossy yellow, federal standard 595a, color number 13432, and all school bus markings shall be obliterated."
IdahoJoe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe87 View Post
Thanks for posting this as I just did some research and found out that you are required to paint your bus a different color in Idaho. ...it shall be painted a color other than national school bus glossy yellow..."
I noted that while it said "ALL" markings, it didn't say "ALL" yellow had to be covered. I called the Idaho State Police and a nice lieutenant there said that every last bit of yellow wasn't the issue: they just don't want it mistaken for a school bus.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Yeah because you never know when someone will manage to kidnap 84 snot lickers without any of them catching on to the fact that your bus is now an RV. IF the snot lickers are that stupid, then school is a waste of time, money, and resources.

I realize your response may be intended to be humorous, but the rule isn't just about kids confusing it with a substitute bus. I think it's fair to say that most of us have observed some bad drivers around the country and the authorities don't want the bad drivers confused as to whether your bus will be picking up kids or not.

If I see a bus with the "School Bus" markings covered or removed, even if it's still yellow, I have a pretty good idea it won't be running any school routes any more. Some people aren't that observant.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #76
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe87 View Post
Thanks for posting this as I just did some research and found out that you are required to paint your bus a different color in Idaho.

"TITLE 49 MOTOR VEHICLES CHAPTER 14
TRAFFIC — ENFORCEMENT AND GENERAL PROVISIONS
49-1422
(4) When any school bus is sold and is no longer to be used for the transportation of pupils, before it may again be used on the highways of this state it shall be painted a color other than national school bus glossy yellow, federal standard 595a, color number 13432, and all school bus markings shall be obliterated."
2 things about Idaho... Interesting (in comparing with my state WI that says no yellow at all) that they don't want the bus to be school yellow and even mention the color number leaving room for the bus to be some other shade of yellow. And, I like how Idaho requires all school bus markings to be "obliterated". Sounds grossly harsher than just "removed." Hahaha
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I realize your response may be intended to be humorous, but the rule isn't just about kids confusing it with a substitute bus. I think it's fair to say that most of us have observed some bad drivers around the country and the authorities don't want the bad drivers confused as to whether your bus will be picking up kids or not.
I doubt that's even a secondary reason. If someone is all over the road, I don't much care if it's a school bus, U-Haul, or semi. Large out of control vehicles are dangerous regardless of who they are driving for.

*Edit: they might get more 911 calls on a weaving school bus but either way, they should still send an officer out to check on it.

Quote:
If I see a bus with the "School Bus" markings covered or removed, even if it's still yellow, I have a pretty good idea it won't be running any school routes any more. Some people aren't that observant.
I'm 49 yrs old so NOT a product of the "stranger danger" PSAs. That said, even as a short snot licker, I don't think I would have gotten on your bus. 1) the black as you mentioned but more important 2) you're bus is #67, my bus is supposed to be #128 and 3) you ain't my bus driver.

Back in my day (when we didn't walk 7 miles uphill both ways) our buses had numbers painted on them. We didn't ride the "green" or "turtle" bus even in elementary school.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
that they don't want the bus to be school yellow and even mention the color number leaving room for the bus to be some other shade of yellow.
I like that too but if they come across someone like me (only with money), you could argue that after 20 yrs in the sun, it's no longer color number 13432; it's color number 13433. Let the cop try to prove differently.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I noted that while it said "ALL" markings, it didn't say "ALL" yellow had to be covered. I called the Idaho State Police and a nice lieutenant there said that every last bit of yellow wasn't the issue: they just don't want it mistaken for a school bus.
I was waiting outside a business in our bus when a lady walked up and asked some questions obviously thinking it was a school bus. She was standing on the mural side where there's NO yellow. It can happen.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan grimm View Post
no, no, no.

It is not a "federal thing", there is no such law.
I drive a school bus for a living in massachusetts, and when i saw a shortie that had been converted to a handyman's carryall, i reported it to my supervisor...and was told that as long as there is no school information (name, etc.) on the bus, then the yellow is legal.

Know your sources, do not spread hearsay.
this^^^^^^^^^

Edit-
On another note- new members can use the F word but apparently I can't use all caps on any word... so weird.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote