Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

intro and project idea

Hello all,

My name is Collin, i am from washington, and have a project idea that i wanted to run pass you all before it even starts.
I have the chance to get a 1990 or so International, for around $3,500. Now being from washington i want it to get the
best milage as possible ( you know how we love the environment up here, hahaha) so i am curious about a hybrid style engine.
I was thinking about putting solar panels on the top and having some kind of diesel/ electric motor. i was hoping someone could give me advice
or point me in the right direction, or stop me before i start so i dont have to waste a bunch of money on something that couldn't be created. Thanks a lot
i look forward to hearing from you.

newskooliePNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: intro and project idea

Seems to me there is a reason why the generally make Hybrids with the smallest cars available. This is a new and developing technology, and I would think the cost involved would be astronomical. But, I do believe they make a hybrid bus of somekind already, they are not cheap though. Good luck, I haven't got a clue on how you could build that.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Skoolie

There are all electric buses out there. Nashville sold two several years back (I was actually contemplating buying one, and was trying to figure out how to get the darned thing home). Chattanooga has some for their transit system. So, they are out there. Not sure how much a used one would cost. If you could find one for a reasonable price, you could see about adding a big generator to recharge the batteries, thus improving mileage (not sure if you could get a big enough generator to supply enough power to keep it going down the interstate constantly, but maybe it'd be enough to turn a 75 mile range into 100?). Oh, and if you park at a campground, remember that you already paid for all the electricity you can use (I'd really, really recommend wiring for 50amp).

It is a neat idea though. If you could get decent mileage out of one, it would be awesome to go down the road with NO engine noise whatsoever. Oh, and you could ignore everyone's advice about having a separate house battery bank. Once the batteries are fully charged, you could last for days/weeks/months boondocking.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

http://www.duluthtransit.com/green/hybrid.aspx
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

some of the utility companies are starting to test prototype hybred utility trucks, the truck manufacturers are providing/building the chassis ready to go. it also looks like a good useable package for dump trucks and muncipalities that have a lot of stop and go or idle time in their duty cycle.
caterpiller has introduced a 2009 d7 dozer that is diesel electric and about 30% moer efficient than hydrostatic transmissions.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

So lets say i had a bank of batteries that would take up a ton of space and add up to several thousands of pounds or $, cover the roof in solar panels and had some crazy alternators/generators that produced enough energy to run the bus ( water heater pump, kitchen, lights, ac, stuff like that). How much energy would i really be needing to offset the solar system? Meaning could i run everything BUT the engine off the solar? And would the extra weight of the batts and pannels hurt the overall MPG?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #7

<<<<Another design idea>>>>
How about putting the wash room all the way at the back? Are there reasons other than the obvious having the kitchen and bathroom close together to utilize the waste water and pumps and such for not having the wash room all the way at the back?