Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I'm all about the ball peen test for rust. Put on some junk clothes, some safety goggles, and climb under there. Start smacking stuff with the hammer. Any noise other than a good rigid steel ring indicates some nasty rust.

As far as costs...it's a proportionate thing.

Oil change for the bus: $60
Oil change for the van: $30
Interval for the bus: 6000 miles
Interval for the van: 3000 miles

Same price for both....
The bus will need it less often, but is a bit more difficult (5 gallons of oil to drain!)
Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Get a bus! That's what everybody here is going to say. Speed would be the only issue. My bus tops out at 65 mph and the RPM's are screaming at that speed. 55 or 60mph is better. But anything can be fixed to go faster! What kind of music do you guys play? Do you have a MySpace site or anything where we can hear some of your music? Post a link if you do!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Having been in the 'band business' in years gone by, I think my personal suggestion would be to find a good road touring bus like an MCI, Eagle, or Prevost.... These things are bigger, have a smoother ride, nicer seating, and have those huge pass-thru cargo bays underneath for the equipment and stuff.

Be that as it may, if Skoolie is what you are interested in, it certainly would be better than a van. The bus should be able to handle all the equipment, you may have to remove a few of the rear seats for storage space. The church bus sounds good, but there may be better deals out there. Like those 26 Thomas transit style school buses that http://www.sonnymerryman.com/ is selling for $2000 each. You might even get lucky and find one with a storage compartment below.

My bus came from the same area as those that SonnyMerriman is selling, and mine has little to no rust on it...mine came from City of Harrisonburg Va....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to SeabirdMusic.com
Thanks again everyone for the great responses. We'd love to have a Prevost, but would need our debut record to sell platinum before that would be financially possible We're a piano rock band from Northern KY, our myspace page is myspace.com/seabird and our official website is http://www.seabirdmusic.com Let me know what you think if you have a chance to listen.

Aaron M.
SeabirdMusic.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I dig the music. It has a definite Coldplay-Jeff Buckley-Jack Johnson-The Fray quality to it. Ever thought about doing a show in say Minneapolis or better yet...Duluth, Minnesota? We can sit and talk bus after the show even.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Buckley and Coldplay are certainly compliments. We'd love to come to Deluth, if you want to set it up. How far is that from northern KY? Do you have pics of your bus on this forum?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #17
Bus Geek

The Fray wasn't meant as an insult...only that the voice sounds similar. I have very few pictures of the conversion process, unfortunately. Most of what I have are of partying. There are a few if you want to look. The seats and the floor took about 3 weekends to finish and then the bus sat. For the two and a half weeks leading up to Country Fest last year we put in every hour we weren't at work or sleeping into the conversion. Needless to say we were too damn busy to take pictures (and I couldn't find my camera). I would be more than happy to answer any question about the conversion though. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_ex...3006/my_photos

We're 800 miles apart so I'm not so sure I'm going to be seeing you until I make a trip down south or you get that Prevost. There are plenty of venues in town though capable of seating from tens to thousands though.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
I definately like the music! I have always liked most music with a piano. Is it you that play's the piano? I have absolutely zero musical talent. But I can angle grinder bus seats out with a fury!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks KC, yep that's me on the piano, took lessons for 6 years and HATED it, switched teachers and I was so bad at practicing he asked me "Have you ever considered playing the guitar" No lie. So I quit taking lessons and started writing what I liked to play. And as far as bus skills go, you have me beat there for sure! I've never even ridden on one, I was home schooled!