Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Is it worth using old trailer parts on a conversion?

My wife an I have just recently started thinking about building a Skoolie to replace our old travel trailer that we've outgrown. The trailer is 24 years old and has had major leak issues that forced me to rebuild most of it. It's structurally just fine but the old damage makes it really really hard to sell around here and not worth very much money. I'd be happy to get $1000 for it.

My question is would anyone here recommend stripping it for it's appliances and useful buts and then just scrapping the rest? It has propane fridge, stove with oven, furnace, hotwater heater and nice new 12V lighting, decent awning, camp toilet, shower, fresh, black and gray water tanks, and probably tons of little bits and pieces that could be used.

I think we could save a bunch of money reusing appliances. Part of me however wants to go all electric on the Skoolie with a big battery bank, inverter and solar setup.

Would getting the bus registered be a lot harder if it has propane appliances? I know that the dealer we bought it from years ago had the propane system freshly inspected before selling to us so I'm assuming that's something that would need done.

I'm handy enough to build whatever is needed but is the propane something that you need to be licensed to work on?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

jamief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Before I even got to the second paragraph I was saying Keep it, gut it of everything you can use in the bus build. You'll save much more than the sale would net you. Registration is not involved with how your appliances run. Propane has some safety concerns, but they are common sense and no license is required to install an LPG system on the bus.
Go to the UserCP above and fill out your profile with your location, it will help answer your questions. Fill out your bus info when you get one. Your plan is a solid one.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I originally set out to build with second hand parts. While some might be worth using, the expensive ones, fridge, furnace, water heater, are likely pretty far gone. On top of that, after you strip it, you need to dispose of the carcass.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Here is the states there is no inspection on the propane system, or the conversion in general other then to verify it meets being a motorhome. For Canada I do not know.

Think about what you would really like to use from it.

After using a propane fridge in a camper for many years, an electric fridge running off solar is so nice.

I have an rv water pump, stove, toilet, and rooftop a/c. For me all new. All other stuff sourced from home improvement stores, Amazon, or where ever I could including craiglist.

If your old trailer has a generator that is worth it. Generator and rooftop a/c are big ticket items, the other stuff may not add to $1000 you may get for the camper.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Ronnie, correct your post.

Some more.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ronnie, correct your post.

Some more.
\

Better now? a bit of a typo...
Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Hi from Nanaimo! Whereabouts on the island are you???
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

We're also in Nanaimo
jamief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Stripping a travel trailer for appliances, plumbing pieces and various other bits and pieces can be very economical . I bought one for $167. They are out there cheap.

Am I going to use parts from it for my bus? No. I am looking towards a little nicer level of finish. The sinks and other fixtures are cheap. I am going with nicer home fixtures and appliances.

Skoolie is like Burger King. We each get to have it our way.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
On a budget build, using older trailer components works for the most part.
If you have more discretionary funding to get it fitted out, go new.

Propane lines and appliances need to be run, and in running condition, correctly.
The unintended consequences of an incorrect or incomplete install of anything running off propane can be deadly.

If you are unsure or even if you think you've got that aspect covered, it's always best to have a licensed plumber go over your work to ensure everything in your work is copasetic.

Good luck and post pics of your project if you decide to get into one...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post

Think about what you would really like to use from it.

After using a propane fridge in a camper for many years, an electric fridge running off solar is so nice.

I have not kept an absorption refrigerator in any of my rigs in over 20 years.

My 5er has a 10.8cu.ft Frigidaire. I love the extra space compared to the RV refrigerators they replaced.

I only have 300 watts of solar on that rig. I set out to put 600 watts but the roof is so cluttered that it would have taken major surgery. It is not quite enough to keep up with the refrigerator. I still have to run the generator a bit in the morning. Just not nearly as much.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

My 5er has a 10.8cu.ft Frigidaire. I love the extra space compared to the RV refrigerators they replaced.

I only have 300 watts of solar on that rig. I set out to put 600 watts but the roof is so cluttered that it would have taken major surgery. It is not quite enough to keep up with the refrigerator. I still have to run the generator a bit in the morning. Just not nearly as much.
What else are you running off solar. Curious since that’s about how much I would be able to place
Old 09-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
What else are you running off solar. Curious since that’s about how much I would be able to place
TV, led lights, water pump and phone charger.

What is limiting the number of panels on the roof? Space? Budget?

I am laying out my roof to accommodate 1800 watts of solar on my bus.

I managed to find 10- 300 watt panels for $1400 including shipping. If budget is holding you back we may be able to find you a good buy that will get you additional panels without killing the budget.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
What is limiting the number of panels on the roof? Space? Budget?
Short bus with Thomas domed roof. I was going to put 2 160 watt panels flat down the middle, but after seeing this, I’m going with 4, 2 on each side. Angle of incidence will be ideal for one side anyway. Been looking for a motorized bracket setup. That will be rack 2.0.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Short bus with Thomas domed roof. I was going to put 2 160 watt panels flat down the middle, but after seeing this, I’m going with 4, 2 on each side. Angle of incidence will be ideal for one side anyway. Been looking for a motorized bracket setup. That will be rack 2.0.
IIRC: my 300 watt panels are 39" x 60". If your Thomas is similar to the one I had, E450 cutaway 5 window that I was going to put 2x300 watt panels on. Plenty of room. Unfortunately a tree fell on it. No more Thomas.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I have a 4.7 fridgidaire, and 400 watts solar, and that is working out good for me.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I have a 4.7 fridgidaire, and 400 watts solar, and that is working out good for me.
The lower power consumption is attractive but the size would be a challenge. We boondock for 1-2 weeks at a time. Fridge space is a necessity for us.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Skoolie

Old Bus Old Trailer Parts.

What could go wrong???

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #19
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
I put all the stuff from my old trailer in my bus it saved me a ton of money. I even used the wall framing and paneling and cabinets and bed frame and mattress and the whole kitchen, bathroom, electrical, water heater, furnace.... whatever i could. If i change it it'll be slowly over time as i can afford it. The old trailer may end up being converted to a car hauler.
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote