Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Is there a season to buy school buses?

I have a front wheelchair lift in my bus and it does get used by my friend with her power wheelchair. Having a wheelchair lift can benefit in the front or rear depending on your use. A front lift door makes it easier to put that sofa in later if you put in a wall between the front and back or if you put in bunks on each side in the middle of the bus. A rear lift door with the lift still in can make it easier to load any stuff you have. I believe a wheelchair lift from a school bus can be used in the standard back door on a school bus. I think I remember seeing a bus where this was done, but it needs to be a school bus lift as not all lifts are the same size. I think there are 3 different widths of lifts and I will say on mine with the school bus lift it just clears the opening.
If I was to do another and didn't need a wheelchair lift I would still look for one with a front lift cause of the easiness of bringing stuff inside. With the lift in it I have something that almost all rv's don't have and that is a deck that folds out. But on the other side I still haven't figured out how to put a awning above the door that will allow me to open and close the door without retracting the awing to do so.
Also if you do get a bus with a lift door make sure it is not a aftermarket install job as those don't seem to seal as good as the factory installed doors
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote