Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is this a good canadite?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Int ... 6646QQrdZ1
I am lokking for my first bus and was wondering if this is a good platform?

Kevin

SKOOLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

looks ok

Provided that it is what they say it is and all the statements are accurate then it is a decent buy. Heck, the engine is probably worth the $400 current bid. However, as the previous poster pointed out, inspect it for any serious body cancer or any other deal busters.
fmtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys.
I am going to do some more research before I decide on what to do.

SKOOLBOY
Old 01-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I asked the seller a few questions for ya.....I'll let ya know when he responds.....

"is there anything wrong with the bus that you know of? How long does the pressure stay in the air brake system? What is the bus' top end speed? How are the tires? Do you have any photos of the tires or the engine compt? Does the bus "pull" to one direction when it's driven? How does it start in cold weather? Glow plugs work well? Is there a 110 volt electric Block heater? Any broken windows?"

Those seemed like things that i would have liked to see in the description.

I don't particularly care for the 7.3 liter, especially with that many miles on it. But It appears to be a clean bus. I would pay up to $1,200 for it. I don't think i'd spend $1,500 or more though.

My suggestion if you're gonna bid on it is wait until the last 10 minutes before placing a bid.

i would also ask if it's ok to take the bus for a test drive and look it over before money changes hands.....if you're not happy with the bus you don't have to buy it. I would not buy a vehicle that did not have that guarantee....If he has to re-list it because you two mutually agree not to buy/sell the item, he gets to re-list it for free.

good luck
Old 01-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all of the advice! I think I may go check out a couple of the local auctions before I make my final decision.

Thanks, Skoolboy
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolboy,
That bus is the same size as my International which I bought through e-Bay, also from Minnesota. There'll be rust for sure but there are some good rust killers on the market these days. "Extend" is one I used to my complete satisfaction on a 1964 skoolie. The newer the bus the better, in my book. Less money will be spent on mechanicals and you'll be able to focus more readily on the fun stuff, interior conversion and exterior paint. Also, by buying a diesel, you'll have more fuel options in the future as biodiesel becomes more readily available. I really do see it as the wave of the future as it is the only thing that makes any sense environmentally, strategically, economically, and technically. There is a renewable source with every corn crop and using it requires no expensive vehicle conversion. Good Luck in you quest!
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I've been to a couple of bus auctions and talked to people & from what I've heard the 7.3 in a bus is extremely slow and underpowered. Also is that a turbo or non-turbo? The rest of the bus looks like its in good shape though.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

My primary reservation on that one as a conversion is the roof. This is a "low roof" model. If you add roof A/C units, you are really going to be hurting in the headroom department. My '82 (for sale by the way, see the classified section), has the high roof option, and I only have about 6" of headroom in the center. I'm 6 feet tall, and I'd be ducking constantly in the one you posted.

If the roof height isn't an issue with you, then I'd concur with the others on the rust chances. These busses aren't exactly rustproofed. Mine lived it's entire life in Texas, and I'm still finding rust inside of all places. Chassis wise, mine looks as good as the day it rolled off of the line, so I'm ahead of the game there.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Wolfman,
Excellent point on the headroom. One of the reasons I chose my latest skoolie, a 1993 Amtran (Ward), was the 6'6" ceiling height. I had roof air on my old standard height (6" center) 1964 Chev. skoolie and still have dents in my head from bangin' into it. OUCH!! LOL!! I took a sawzall to the roof and added a fiberglass topper which raised the ceiling in the center section of the bus to 7'4". (You can see the front of it behind the roof air on my avatar). That also gave me room for some upper storage bins. I'm 5'10" so with the new, higher AmTran bus, I won't have to resort to any such structural steel/sheet metal/fiberglass heroics and still have enough room to hang the disco ball under the skylight!
BTW: Nice choice on the Yamaha 2 wheeler, Wolfman. I put 50,000 miles on my two Viragos ('82 750cc & '82 920cc). I loved 'em even with the funky starters!
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Bus Geek

it's up over $1,500 now, with more than 3 days left.

EBAY is a sellers market! geesh

I woulnd't bid that much for a bus with the 7.3.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Gregg the bus guy has all kinds of nice things to say about the 9.0 liter. He is perhaps the most educated hands on used skoolie guy i've ever met. well...i haven't met him, but i've talked to him on the phone.

I wouldn't be afraid of a 9.0 liter in a bus. Apparently with a manual trans and highway gears they can get way over 10 mpg
Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
It looks like an old First Student/Ryder bus. It's a bit hard to see the cute little number near the fuel tank and the front right windsheild, it looks like 731890 and the plate looks like a s/b 71-150.
If that is what it is, I saw the same bus at stillwater, mn last august.
here are a couple large pictures I took then, judge for yourself. http://blunderworld.com/1992/

There was some surface rust on it and crack on the hood. One thing I can say is that it started right up on the first try with the key, some of the gauges didn't work if I remember right but that is a know problem with IHC dashes, a simple resolder of the contacts on the board may take care of that. It also has the electric service door. I think the First students list price then was either 1500 or 2000.

It looks like it may have also gained a year with a new owner.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I sent the seller a question about that bus and here is what he had to say about it...

I would guess it is non turbo. Yes I have driven it, it drives nicely, it is a
little slow though, so to say it is a bit underpowered would probably be
accurate, although it is my understanding that slow is just kind of the nature
of the beast when pertainin to school busses. Cruising speed is about 55, I had the bus going 65 on long gradual downhill with a pretty good tailwind.

I noticed that he didnt post it on the auction, so I thought (if you were still intrested in the bus I'd post it for ya.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
The Cornbinder nut chimes in here...

It's the last of the 7.3 IDI diesels--a good engine, but sensitive to neglect. THE most important question: was the SCA in the coolant kept up? (A test kit is about $20.) If not, walk away, unless you're willing to repower. If so, this engine should have an easy 150,000 miles left in it. Don't overheat it, don't lug it, and don't ether it, it will run a long time. I don't see a turbo. It isn't that hard to add (Gale Banks, ATS, and several others), and is a big help on hills.

The only other problem the 444 IDI has is the glow plug system. Rather than futz around with it, I would just put them on a manual pushbutton.

It does NOT have air brakes! They look like air over hydraulic, which probably means 4-wheel discs with spring brakes--not a bad system at all.

Auto trans is kind of a red flag...the 444 IDI probably has an AT545 Allison, which will totally emasculate ANY engine it's behind. With an always-slipping converter & a 1:1 high gear, 55MPH is about all you can hope for.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote