Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
I'd be curious to see the scale receipts for some of these busses.

My Chevy MicroBird has a 10,000 GVWR and weighed around 14k...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
My 40 foot Ward had a GVWR of 33k and weighed 17.9k.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Okay, let me play Devils advocate. Anti seize has been used on millions of wheels studs over the last 50 years. there are very few "documented cases" of stud failure due to the anti seize only as the culprit. Studs and bolts have a "safe range" of clamping force. Using anti seize changes it, but it is usually still with in the safe zone. I raced cars for 20 years and always used anti seize on my studs and NEVER had a failure, usually torquing to slightly more than advertised spec. NAPA sells an anti seize product and specifically states to use it on wheel studs. Would a major corporation take on the liability of recommending this procedure if it was prone to failure, I think not? I see bolt clamping force chart where they show dry value and lubricated values (usually about half). Yes, if you're pig mechanic and work where you're picking up sand and dirt in your work, then you have other issues creating problems besides the proper use of anti seize. I think a much more prevalent problem in the real world is people who use a 200psi impact driver to put your lug nuts on, most often massively over torquing them. Most people use torque wrenches improperly.
Benny, in your 20 years dealing with tires, how many lug nuts have you removed and replaced and how many of them had issues pertaining to the use of anti seize? How many of those studs or nuts had other issues not relating to anti seize. I imagine it is a very small fraction of a percentage.
It is a fraction of a percentage only due to the millions of nuts I've touched (insert double entendre pun)
But it's a number greater than zero, which makes it a confirmed problem, no?
This can easily turn into a "which way is the toilet paper supposed to unroll" type debate and if you have read my (limited) collection of comments on this forum you'll see I'm not a huge fan of that type of discussion.
There are certainly a large percentage of never seized nuts rolling across our world, an a vast majority of them will make it to their next destination unscathed.
Think about some of the things that your doctor tells you that you shouldn't do. You walk out of the office saying to yourself "I've been doing this for years and never had a problem" And maybe a vast majority of that doctor's patients also do it too. But that doctor has perhaps seen the horrific aftermath of that act, maybe in only a fraction of a percentage of his patients. Could you blame him for preaching to every person regardless of how they heed his advice? As a professional in his field, shouldn't he avoid the liability of being the guy who has done it for years with no adverse effects?
I may not be properly articulating my point.

But I've given my opinion on the white fire department bus in question and the one reason that I, personally, would pass on it. And followed up with an overly descriptive logic behind my opinion. Followed up by an enthusiastic agreement with another person's opinion. Followed up with some personal insights into my opinion. While any of what I've said could be taken as fact, is up to the soul of the person reading to deem it so...
Is the OP even in on this post any more? I would have already made my purchase or moved to another for sale item before reading down this thread 🤣🤣🤣

BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It is a fraction of a percentage only due to the millions of nuts I've touched (insert double entendre pun)
But it's a number greater than zero, which makes it a confirmed problem, no?
This can easily turn into a "which way is the toilet paper supposed to unroll" type debate and if you have read my (limited) collection of comments on this forum you'll see I'm not a huge fan of that type of discussion.
There are certainly a large percentage of never seized nuts rolling across our world, an a vast majority of them will make it to their next destination unscathed.
Think about some of the things that your doctor tells you that you shouldn't do. You walk out of the office saying to yourself "I've been doing this for years and never had a problem" And maybe a vast majority of that doctor's patients also do it too. But that doctor has perhaps seen the horrific aftermath of that act, maybe in only a fraction of a percentage of his patients. Could you blame him for preaching to every person regardless of how they heed his advice? As a professional in his field, shouldn't he avoid the liability of being the guy who has done it for years with no adverse effects?
I may not be properly articulating my point.

But I've given my opinion on the white fire department bus in question and the one reason that I, personally, would pass on it. And followed up with an overly descriptive logic behind my opinion. Followed up by an enthusiastic agreement with another person's opinion. Followed up with some personal insights into my opinion. While any of what I've said could be taken as fact, is up to the soul of the person reading to deem it so...
Is the OP even in on this post any more? I would have already made my purchase or moved to another for sale item before reading down this thread 🤣🤣🤣

Anti seize or not , I think, Is a discussion of much ado about nothing.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
antiseize, grease and molykote are different animals.
I use antiseize for lugnuts but I am not doing tires for a living and am in no hurry. To me it would be obvious to clean the threads before putting a nut on or taking one off in a tire environment.
There have been cases that wheels came of trucks because the shops accidentally used molykote and with the same torque the studs got over-stressed and started cracking.
Not sure about the lubricating quality of the different anti seize products around but i would think that the friction is lower then dry. So for the same clamping force you would need less torque instead of more.

Coming back on EC wheels .. It looks on the photo that that is a "combination" rim or a wrong (Stud) rim on a Hub centered hub.

later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #45
Skoolie

**Coming back on EC wheels .. It looks on the photo that that is a "combination" rim or a wrong (Stud) rim on a Hub centered hub.**

I actually had to scroll up to see, apparently I missed that! That's definitely a stud pilot wheel on a stud pilot hub with stud pilot nuts. And yes, those 4 fingers are helping to center the wheel...

Admittedly I oversimplified the descriptions of the wheel types for the sake of comparison, as there are always exceptions and variations. That front hub on ECCB's photo does have the ability to hold the wheel centered. And while those tabs may certainly be robust enough to support the vehicle, the design is stud piloted as the primary path for load transfer...

Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
hundreds of tiny fragments of the motherland stick to the magical paste that you've gooped all over your nuts.
Sorry, but when I read that all I could think of was this:
Attached Thumbnails
nuts image.jpg  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #47
Skoolie

Classic [emoji106]

Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
stud pilot hub??

I am wondering what these nuts do on his hub then......If you look carefull at EC 's rim pictures then you can see where the "washer" made the impression, although that could be the wear from all the impact sockets.

agree that these 'fingers " are a little heavier but with this being cast then this still would not be considered a hub piloted hub even if the nuts tell a different story
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Sorry, but when I read that all I could think of was this:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:30 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
stud pilot hub??

I am wondering what these nuts do on his hub then......If you look carefull at EC 's rim pictures then you can see where the "washer" made the impression, although that could be the wear from all the impact sockets.

agree that these 'fingers " are a little heavier but with this being cast then this still would not be considered a hub piloted hub even if the nuts tell a different story
Its not from a washer, its from careless use of a powerful impact with a giant socket.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its not from a washer, its from careless use of a powerful impact with a giant socket.
One (or both) of these likely wasn't used...
Wheel protection, and purpose-built Budd socket (shallow depth prevents socket from contacting wheel)

Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
One (or both) of these likely wasn't used...
Wheel protection, and purpose-built Budd socket (shallow depth prevents socket from contacting wheel)

Definitely not.
Schools and shitty truckstops are all my rigs have seen for tire service.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #53
Skoolie

Schools and shitty truck stops.. giving tire guys a bad name since schools and truck stops [emoji52]

Old 01-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Schools and shitty truck stops.. giving tire guys a bad name since schools and truck stops [emoji52]

I've never had really nice wheels or had to buy a whole set of tires on a bus yet. But when I do I'll go to one of the really nice truck stops and pony up $$.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've never had really nice wheels or had to buy a whole set of tires on a bus yet. But when I do I'll go to one of the really nice truck stops and pony up $$.
You don't need to have nice wheels for the job to be done properly in my opinion. You need the job done properly so you have nice wheels [emoji6]
If you go to a truck stop, research and make sure they hire TIA certified techs. It doesn't guarantee better service, but it's a start...
Or, come to NH. [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #56
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
If you go to a truck stop, research and make sure they hire TIA certified techs. It doesn't guarantee better service, but it's a start...
Or, come to NH. [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]
I'd go to you for tires- You are a wealth of information.

How often do you recommend changing the air in the tires? I do it twice a year, but I'm not sure if that's often enough.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Change the air? I thought we were supposed to rotate the air.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You should be running Winter Air right now. Switch to Summer Air when the clocks go forwards.

The 80% Nitrogen is worth the extra $$

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #59
Skoolie

Top Secret Info:
You can save a little money if you request 79% blend.
Sometimes the 80% is overpriced for no particular reason.
I only offer 79% blend. The difference is barely noticeable in pressure shift. My secret is the 1% Argon [emoji6]

Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Top Secret Info:
You can save a little money if you request 79% blend.
Sometimes the 80% is overpriced for no particular reason.
I only offer 79% blend. The difference is barely noticeable in pressure shift. My secret is the 1% Argon [emoji6]

We suck a lot of the oxygen out of the air here in Oklahoma. It ups the %age of nitrogen free

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote