Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Junkyard scrapping buses straight from retirement

Called on CL ad in Eugene Oregon. Found myself talking to owner of junkyard who did not know employee put ad on CL. 2004 Catapillar engine full size $3500, just retired. Said it was flatnose but engine was up by driver? Told me he could get almost as much from scrapping a bus as selling it, he had already scrapped 45 this year!! Had to ask me which bus was in ad - he had 10 at the yard. Suppose to call him this weekend to go look at buses. I am total rookie and I don't think he is up on buses besides scrapping them. Not sure about this adventure. Anybody ever here of buses going straight to the junkyard from retirement?

NotAClue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I have seen several scrap yards sell their buses because of they can get about a thousand more than it's worth in scrap value. there was a couple in New Jersey and one in Maryland within the last couple of years. This has nothing to do with the condition of the bus they were retired and sold as a lot for scrap. My guess is they are still functioning but I would take someone with you that knows engines at the very least. The rest of the bus is fairly straightforward... Look for bad rust.. make sure the brakes function properly... Make sure the transmission shifts... Identify what kind of transmission and if it fits your needs... The overall condition of the boss is important but just as important is the condition of the tires and engine.
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Another note is.. the brand of engine isn't nearly as important as the upkeep of the engine. People tend to shy away from Caterpillar engines, because they are expensive to work on or rather expensive to have someone else work on them. International engines and Cummins engines have more support For parts, but don't let that stop you from buying a box with a caterpillar motor that is in really good shape.
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've looked into it and my DT466E is just as expensive to fix as my Cat 3126.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I recently bought one from a local school district for $900. It had some issues and I didn't want to put any money into it so I'm just sending it to scrap. I figured the wheels and tires are worth a $1000- $1500, and the bus wait will bring around another thousand. So flipping it to scrap is actually making more money and if I had sold it running.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Skoolie

I work for an Auto Recycler in WA and we had a dozen (yes 12) busses dropped off by one of the local school districts to be scrapped. ALL drove in under own power and has low miles and hours. Both Shorties based off the Chevy Van's and the Medium busses as well as a couple Full sized.
Had to punch holes in the blocks, cut the frames in half and cut the bodies as well and take pictures before and after to show proof of decommissioning.
All part of the program for the school district getting credits for new busses. It was a time for myself and the other bus nuts at work.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I bought my Wanderlounge from a scrap yard for a song. If for sure happens. The trick is learning about it so you can act on it! Mine was listed on Facebook marketplace.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I bought my Wanderlounge from a scrap yard for a song. If for sure happens. The trick is learning about it so you can act on it! Mine was listed on Facebook marketplace.

Yep. That one was a great deal.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote