Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Just bought a bus. What do y'all think?!

About the fuel gauge. The gauge itself could have failed, or some part of the wiring, but the most likely suspect is the sending unit inside the tank. And it may only need a new float -- mine did.

You should not need to remove the tank in order to access the sending unit. There should be a hole in the floor with a cover screwed on. Just look inside the bus above the tank. The cover is maybe six or eight inches square.

The best place to find a new float may be at a commercial speedometer shop. They work mostly on big trucks and other commercial vehicles.

Good luck!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yea I forgot to mention that the parking brake is not working. I called the local mechanic and he said that to fix it you would first have to figure out whether it was working the drivetrain or going to the back brakes. If my back brakes were disc brakes, the parking brake probably works with the drivetrain and if the back brakes were drum brakes then the parking brake probably worked with them. I took a look through the back wheels and couldn't really see any disc. I didn't climb under the bus to see if I could check out the parking brake because it's parked on a busy street and it's probably not the best place to do that. Anyone have any info on what type of brakes these buses have on the back? Or how to go about fixing a parking brake?

The other thing I was worried about was when someone mentioned that because my hard brake lines were pretty rusty they could fail. Is there a good way to test them to verify their strength?

And what size jack should I use to change tires? 2 ton? 3 ton?

One more question, the guy I bought the bus from told me I should change the oil with 15W40 Diesel Oil. He said I will need 2 20L buckets of this. Is this correct? And is there anything I should know before I change the oil? I assume it's the same procedure as any other vehicle. (I've changed the oil on several different smaller vehicles)

Thanks so much!! This forum is a goldmine.
hello_im_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Changing the tires on that bus is not a do-it-yourself thing -- at least not to my mind.

No, there is no way to test the brake lines for strength, other than to stand on the brake pedal as hard as you can. All it takes for a failure to happen is a microscopic pin hole of rust anywhere in the line. Preventive replacement is a matter of judgement and priorities.

Yes, diesel engines must have engine oil (motor oil) that is made specifically for diesel engines, and they contain much more oil than you are used to.

You will probably have to crawl underneath the back to see which style brakes you have there. Type of brakes can vary from bus to bus, depending on what the original buyer ordered.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Site Team

this picture show the caliper for the front disc brake, look thru one side of the back at opposite side and see if it looks like the front, looks like you may be able to see it from the rear bumper area
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Is the parking brake a square, yellow button on the dash (pull to set brakes, push to release), or is it a lever under the dash or on the floor? If the button, it has air parking brake. If the lever, it has a clamp on either the back of the transmission or the front of the rear axle (where the driveshaft goes in)...either should work the same.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Air brakes have a yellow pull out square parking brake system.
Brakes in the picture are hydraulic...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

I just changed the oil on my bus a few weeks ago, it was a $110 oil change! haha 6 gallons of Shell Rotella 15w 40 and 2 Huge oil filters but it is running alot smoother now.

Keep us updated

Mikey
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

hello_im_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
Air brakes have a yellow pull out square parking brake system.
Brakes in the picture are hydraulic...
Many Internationals used hydraulic brakes with an air e-brake. If so...it will have an air-brake type park brake knob. If not, it will probably have a lever under the dash.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote