Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #1

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L fuel pincher
Rated Cap: 60
Just got my bus. What do I need to know?

Just bought my school bus. Its a 82 chevy. I got all the seats out and found some soft spots in the floor! No prob. My plan is part Bike hauler part party bus! I want to instal a ramp in the rear of some sort and a bar. Other than that Im still planning. Im open to any and all Ideas!

Ohio Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #2

Re: Just got my bus. What do I need to know?

You got it man... Im shooting for completion in June. Just in time for the MIS NASCAR race!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Welcome aboard! Rotten plywood in the floor is very common. But usually, the steel underneath is perfectly sound, so you just tear the plywood out and install something new. Or just ignore it, depending on how bad it is, and your tolerance for musty odors.

You don't say if you mean bicycles or motor-cycles, but either way you may be able to use the existing rear door and just add a ramp. I "beaver tailed" the floor in mine, to lower the threshold a little, but that was quite a bit of work. For you, beaver tailing just the area between the frame rails would work, and be easier.

As for ideas in general, there are tons of them on this forum, going back many years.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Hey - just wanted to say I love the bar idea. I thought about that myself. Maybe if I get a second bus. I thought about building a full-size bar in one end and the other half would have booth -style seating like some bars do. The inside would be complete with neon beer signs and a good, loud stereo. It would be a party on wheels, able to move wherever you wanna go. Probably better not get pulled over while you're serving alcohol though. I went with the hunting/fishing lodge theme for my bus as you can see in my pics. I'm still working on it. Good luck!

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the tipps guys! I'll be hauling around my Harleys and my friends to answer your questions.
I have a question for every one. Is it elegal and or unethical to make-up a church like name and paint it on the bus?
I'm thinking---What cop would pull over a church bus? This is just an idea my buddies and I threw around... not in the works. Nobody get worked up over this. Just a Q?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

Over the years, I have heard a couple of stories about supposed church buses "getting away with murder". I think you would do "better" if it looks like you are a gung-ho firebreathing biblethumper, who would preach the poor officer's ears off, than if it looks like you are a meek sheep of a respectable flock. "Repent! The World Ends Tomorrow! You -- YOU -- are a Sinner! Die, infidel scum! Allah Akbar!"

About legality, I don't actually know, but I suspect that... in our society of pretty much unlimited religous freedom, you could start your own religion and paint "Josh-uah's Third Beerdrinking Church of the Holy Motherhumper" on the bus, and you would (probably) not be breaking any law. Just a guess.

About the ethics of it... I'm too biased to comment. But I'd be more concerned about the ethical standards of the officer who sees you doing something stupid in traffic, that anything else. Your idea could backfire.

But what I'm most concerned about, is... why do you anticipate being pulled over in the first place? I'd work on that, before anything else.
(And today isn't even Sunday, and I'm preaching anyway! )

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466

Here's what you need to know!! IT'S FRIGGIN SEXPENSIVE TO DRIVE, A BITE TO MANUVER IN TOWN AND THE COOLEST THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE ! ! ! ! You won't believe how much fun it is! Be sure and get a 150 decible train horn to wake up cage drivers to your presence. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #8

Im feelin the blues... My wife has decided to throw me a B-day party. WOO HOO! Guess what my present is? The party she decided is on the BUS. the bus that isnt even 20% done. So for my own B-day I get to break my ass getting the bus done..or at least partyable! This weekend the floor will be done and painted. This blows since this will be the first good riding weekend of the year! SO all you guys with bikes have fun and think of me when you hit that first watering hole. Drink one for the guy on the bus who wishes he were there.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9l Diesel Cummins
Rated Cap: 20

2007 street glide here with a new bus so I feel your pain. I'm still working on my floor (Pics in my signature link) and I need to bust arse to get it done while we're finally in decent riding weather in Buffalo.

Photo's of my bus build
Billsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1987
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

i would not suggest being a church bus impersonator ... don't think that would go over well. i would check your state codes under open container laws. i checked up on it in Indiana, and it states that in the living compartment of a motor coach that it is ok to have a open container in it. so if that is what you are worried about it might not even be an issue. just don't let the driver be drinking. other than that don't speed.
bigballsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballsbus
other than that don't speed.
I wish my bus was capable of speeding...

There have been some pretty insane times on my bus and it looks ripe for pulling over. Just keep everything on the exterior legal. Don't give Barney Fife an invitation to pull you over with burnt out lights, expired or incorrect tabs, etc. Beyond that it is a lot of common sense. Keep all body parts within the bus at all times. Have a sober driver. Keep things looking tame inside. That can mean curtains, tint, or actually behaving. Common sense will carry you a long ways I think.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #12

I hope yall dont think im a drunk or anything! The way I see it the bus is for good times and like Vegas what happens on the bus stays on the bus. As far as speeding goes Im not sure what your bus will do but Im topped out at 64MPH
Maybe a turbo will get it in to the speeding zone...just kidding.