Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Kerosene heat

The only disadvantage or complaint I've had with using the old Kero-sun heaters (we have a bunch floating around) is that the fuel can be more difficult to track down than propane and they need to be level. If you're already leveling for a propane fridge than no big deal, but otherwise it might be a chore.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Bus Geek

i've never looked when i was driving cross country, but around here kerosene is no more difficult to find than diesel.

there is a lot of energy in a gallon of kero. I have no idea why more of us don't use it as heat in our buses. It's much safer than propane. A bit of spilled kero falls to the floor and smellls icky. A bit of spilled propane not only stinks, it's dangerous.

i was using a fuel oil boiler, and it ran fine on either diesel or kero.

in a pinch if you have a diesel engine you can run it on kero. It's properties are very similiar to diesel fuel. People in countries where fuel tax is several dollars per gallon sometimes use kero in their vehicles. There is apparently a lubrication difference between the two fuels and it's bad for your injector pump long term. But if you ran out of fuel somewhere and needed a few gallons to get to civilization i woulnd't be afraid to use kerosiene, i've done it.

My 1977 mercedes benz owners manual recommended mixing diesel/kero 50/50 in the winter, or to use 70/30 diesel/gasoline. I'm rambling aimlessly, it's time to stop, but i think that kero is a good way to heat your bus.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

I looked into it, but the last time I saw a kerosene pump out here was about 10 years ago. The only place I've seen it lately is in Lowe's in gallon cans for something like 8 bucks a can. Oddly enough I have found kerosene heaters in the hardware store tho' ... go figger ...
I like it more than propane because when it leaks you can see it ...

Quote:
reminds me of childhood winter nights when we used kerosene and wood heat for our home .
ditto
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

i think you would have to find a suitable method of lowing veggie oils flash point from around 300* F closer to keroseines which is near 100*F

flash point is basically the lowest temperature that a liquid will burn at atmospheric pressure.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I should clarify. I don't know that it's any more difficult to get than bulk propane. You can find both, but you need to be aware of where it is available and the hours of operation of the place. Unless you want to buy in small, expensive quantities you just need to do a little planning. I liken it to getting a 20 pounder of propane refilled for $15 versus doing an exchange for $20 and only getting 17 pounds in it. Ever read the small print on those Blue Rhino exchange tanks? Yep, it's a rip off.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

I think I will go with kerosene myself. I was gonna do wood but built too many cabinets to install a pipe that would look decent.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

Other than the smell I like Kerosene. I personally havn't chose between Propane and Kerosene. Its getting cold I better choose soon. I also like that Kerosene is safer.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9

I use a kerosene heater to heat while tailgating. It has worked great for me so far. I can get about 12 hrs per tank, which I think is about 1.5 gal. I have no additional insulation and the interior is still all metal. It helps to arrive already warm tho with the stock heaters running for about 45 mins. or so.
beekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I'm used to using the KeroSun heaters, but is there such a thing as a kerosene "fireplace" out there?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Skoolie

Update,
I have used kerosene heat for about 2 months now. That probably equates to 15 or 16 nights in the bus and it is great. I have found that most hardware stores around here carry kerosene in bulk.It has not been a problem to get at all. I was going to build a wood stove but I don't see the point now.
Dave
Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Buster can you post a shot of your heater one can never have enough options thanks
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Skoolie

I will have to post pictures tomorrow when I get to work. I have them in my phone now but I can't send them with this blackberry. I have a square one that goes against the wall in the front of the bus and one of those towers in the back. What I have been doing is using my propane cook stove during the day when I am awake. During the night I use the kerosene heat. The front heater is usually enough. I think it is 10,000 btu. If it gets real cold I fire up the tower in the back and it doesn't take long to get too warm. Now I'm talking about Arkansas cold, I know it gets a lot colder than it does here. I think the tower type is 23,000 btu.I don't have any insulation in the bus. I ask the HVAC experts where I work to size my heat for the bus without insulation and they came up with 15,000 to 19,000 btu.I think the tower heater may hold a little more fuel than the wall model. Give or take they hold about a gallon, you can count on about 6 or 7 hours. I only stay in buster when I'm hunting, if my situation was different and I had to stay in it more I may have built a wood stove. Kerosene is a little pricey around here about 4.50 to 5.50 a gallon but the convienence is worth it to me no more than I have to use it. Hope that helps. Come on out to camp zoe and check it out firsthand. Photo's tomorrow.
Dave
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Skoolie

I can't get a photo to load for some reason. when I have more time i'll try again.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #14
Skoolie

As promised
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
ATT3777868.jpg   ATT3778007.jpg  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

I like that wall unit where do you buy those? it must have a built in tank ill bet that will be hard to find up here..... thanks timbuk
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

oh yea we got wallyworld up here in the great north thanks timbuk