Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD (Bluebird?)
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Will be diesel
Rated Cap: As big as possible
Lamentations

Okay folks,

I thought it might be fun (and supportive of each other) to share some of our wishes for our skoolies that we have been so far unable to accomplish because of one thing or another.

Like mine: "I wish I could buy my bus right now but I keep having to spend money on other things (like tires for my other vehicle)."

So that's my lamentation to kick things off.

Why not get it out and share something that's been holding you back in doing whatever you are wanting to do with your bus, but have been prevented from so far.

And please be supportive of those who share. This is a helpful community after all.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just wish I had started when I was much younger!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

What Tango said...... Want to get one started now, but don't have a place to park & work on it yet.. & trying to determine what kind I want.... I know what I want it to do, but have to learn here which drive train matches that.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just wish I had started when I was much younger!
I first looked at doing this in 2003.....could've been on my 3rd or 4th bus by now.

Not to mention how much better a "15-years-younger" body would feel on a Monday after crawling under and over a bus all weekend.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dub View Post
Okay folks,

I thought it might be fun (and supportive of each other) to share some of our wishes for our skoolies that we have been so far unable to accomplish because of one thing or another.

Like mine: "I wish I could buy my bus right now but I keep having to spend money on other things (like tires for my other vehicle)."

So that's my lamentation to kick things off.

Why not get it out and share something that's been holding you back in doing whatever you are wanting to do with your bus, but have been prevented from so far.

And please be supportive of those who share. This is a helpful community after all.

[emoji2]
I really wish I had objected to my son working this summer in addition to working on the bus. He had already said yes, though by the time he talked to me. The original plan was that the bus would be what we worked on this summer and we really NEEDED to have done that! His job really interfered with our progress. He's gone back to college and I am left with piles of stuff for the bus that I can't move alone and we can't park in the garage until I move things. I also can't do some of the things that need to be done alone, especially the ceiling the way we are doing it.

It's overwhelming. If I shove all the stuff in the bus I won't be able to work on it at all for 8-9 months, so that doesn't seem like a good option. It may come to that when the snow starts flying though. Sigh.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
For me its coming down to how do I cover the bus while I have windows out and body panels removed (they're fiberglass) so I can fix and putter around. I had the bus covered with a tarp last winter, but it really only acted like a huge sail in the wind (it still had all of its windows and body panels at the time so I wasn't too concerned).

The nearest friends that have a barn I could do work in are over 2hrs away - not very conducive to working on the bus....

The RV storage places around here want $250/mo + electricity to store it in covered parking (and I need to put that money into the bus!).

Yea, I'm stuck....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Long bungee cords to secure the sides of the tarp from underneath should hold it snuggly against the sides and top.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Long bungee cords to secure the sides of the tarp from underneath should hold it snuggly against the sides and top.

In theory its great. In practice I had a number of deficiencies in the execution, not the least of which when the tarp moved in the wind the bungee cords scraped the sides. The cords either were getting cut or the hooks on the ends scraped against the fiberglass. I'm going to try again with two tarps (45' bus...) connected together somehow but haven't decided on how:

1. Heat and "melt" the tarps together.
2. Glue the tarps together.
3. Use clips.
4. Tie them through the grommets either to each other or to a pvc pipe or wood (although this wouldn't be completely waterproof.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
A 30' tarp would wrap under on both sides, strong bungees will keep it in place without damaging any paint. If you need to connect 2 tarps, just overlap and duct tape both sides.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD (Bluebird?)
Chassis: TBD
Engine: Will be diesel
Rated Cap: As big as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I first looked at doing this in 2003.....could've been on my 3rd or 4th bus by now.

Not to mention how much better a "15-years-younger" body would feel on a Monday after crawling under and over a bus all weekend.
I'm almost 57. It'll be interesting to see how I hold up.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Tis a long haul

Amen on the comment of doing this with a younger body (I am 62). Wouldn't say I am being held back, only delayed. Skoolie builds require so many skills so mistakes and set backs and many frustrations are inevitable. Just hang in there and never give up I say. Sure many of us had NO idea how hard and expensive a skoolie is, but at the end it will be all yours.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote