Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Leaking Windows

After pulling, scraping, cleaning, and caulking our windows, we still have a bunch of leaks. We used silicone weatherproof window caulk, put insulation board pieces in the big gap at the top of the window, and then used Great Stuff foam to fill the gaps from the outside.
So, what should we do now? We have to pull them out and reseal, but I'm terrified of having to do this a third time if this next shot doesn't work. I've heard people say butyl tape. Do you just put that around the edges like you would caulk? Is this sufficient or would I need an additional caulk like elastomeric sealant? Thanks.

Links to products appreciated. Really bummed we blew this money only to have to pull them back out.

Raw Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
That great stuff foam is an open cell foam product. If you want it to be water proof you need to use a closed cell foam...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Many also recommend butyl caulk over silicone. Auto manufacturers use butyl for a reason, I suppose.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
For a good seal on metal I would recommend one of the thermoplastic caulks, or butyl tape if you can properly sandwich it between the flanges. Never much cared for that silicone stuff..

EDIT: Supra expert is my favourite thermoplastic caulking so far. No affiliation, not trying to sell it, it's just my go-to for sealing steel stuff. It doesn't crack like silicone does when stretched.