Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 64
Leaky Roof and Frustrated!

Hello all, i am New to the forum here. We converted a 1988 Bluebird. well it had a few small leaks up front, and I thought I got them fixed. It was the windows, Pulled them out, cleaned everything and sealed them when I put them back in. problem solved. I also sealed around the windshield, just for good measure. and everything looks great. Until we got some Much needed rain, and I found yet another leak! UGG! Well it is coming from the front of the bus up top, I cant find any holes.. So my question is, Do you think it could be coming from the roof seam or a rivet? I guess my next step is to put a sealer around every seam and rivet head on the bus until there is no more leaks. Just frustrated. Thanks in advance!
Tracy F.

Farm Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Bus View Post
Hello all, i am New to the forum here. We converted a 1988 Bluebird. well it had a few small leaks up front, and I thought I got them fixed. It was the windows, Pulled them out, cleaned everything and sealed them when I put them back in. problem solved. I also sealed around the windshield, just for good measure. and everything looks great. Until we got some Much needed rain, and I found yet another leak! UGG! Well it is coming from the front of the bus up top, I cant find any holes.. So my question is, Do you think it could be coming from the roof seam or a rivet? I guess my next step is to put a sealer around every seam and rivet head on the bus until there is no more leaks. Just frustrated. Thanks in advance!
Tracy F.
If the school bus lights are still in place, that's almost certainly where the leak is coming from.

If not, I guess a hose-pipe test is in order.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 64
Thanks Twigg. those lights are definitely still there. I guess I should not have been so naive in thinking that they were sealed good. I will check that and let you know. Thanks so much!
Farm Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Bus View Post
Thanks Twigg. those lights are definitely still there. I guess I should not have been so naive in thinking that they were sealed good. I will check that and let you know. Thanks so much!
Some buses have a vent in the roof above the driver as well. I know my thomas does. I had some water coming down through screw holes around my roof hatch, so i hit the screws on my roof vent up front too