Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

leaving air brake parking brake on?

is it safe for the air system to leave the brakes engaged for long periods or would it be better to use chocks or blocks? I was thinking maybe the pressure on seals and stuff would degrade over time?

farmerSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerSmurf View Post
is it safe for the air system to leave the brakes engaged for long periods or would it be better to use chocks or blocks? I was thinking maybe the pressure on seals and stuff would degrade over time?
When your parking brakes are engaged there is no air pressure.
Great big killer springs hold the brakes on.
Nothing to degrade.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Yup, What Alan said.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

i knew that, and somehow forgot. thank you both
farmerSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Even with the parking brakes on, with me its force of habit to chock the wheels. Too many years driving green stuff with parking brakes fixed by National Guard mechanics
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerSmurf View Post
Your mileage will really drop with the parking brake on
I've driven a bass boat with the anker down. It was real slow. I also ran the same boat with the trolling motor on the front still down in the water. Nearly ripped the mounts off. Double Doh!
If my mom were still alive, she would say it runs in the family. She once drove us kids from Dayton to Indy with the parking brake on. When we got home, she said she would have to have dad get the car checked because it smelled bad.
I don't know how many times I have have driven my S1800 across town just to look down and see the parking brake handle and slap my forehead. That is why I haven't adjusted the parking brake. Thank goodness I don't have air brakes.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Your mileage will really drop with the parking brake on
I've driven a bass boat with the anker down. It was real slow. I also ran the same boat with the trolling motor on the front still down in the water. Nearly ripped the mounts off. Double Doh!
If my mom were still alive, she would say it runs in the family. She once drove us kids from Dayton to Indy with the parking brake on. When we got home, she said she would have to have dad get the car checked because it smelled bad.
I don't know how many times I have have driven my S1800 across town just to look down and see the parking brake handle and slap my forehead. That is why I haven't adjusted the parking brake. Thank goodness I don't have air brakes.
You need a routine and stick to it. The bus I just picked up has hydraulic brakes. I have never had hydraulic brakes on a vehicle that big. My routine is simple and I do the same thing every time. When I come to a stop, I shift into neutral, then pull the parking brake, then turn the key off, then pull the lever that is connected to the fuel injection pump that kills the engine. Not sure what it is called. Do the same thing every time and you won't forget anything.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote