Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
LED bulbs in overhead lights

I just switched out all my overhead lights with LED (1156 BA15S 13-SMD 5050 6500K 12V) and now none of them work, even if I put the original bulb back in a socket or two - haven't tried switching them all back out again. So I admit I don't understand all the numbers that follow the bulb type - is there a type that works and I just bought the wrong ones, or is there some reason that LED can't go in my TC2000 bluebird overhead lights (i.e. does it all need rewiring)? Thanks.

druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I think I would have swapped one or two at first, then tried them before swapping the rest. At any rate, I can't imagine a reason they shouldn't work unless the circuit has a reversed polarity (it shouldn't have) or the switch/dimmer relies on the current draw of the incandescent bulbs. 1156 type bulbs are fairly common so this should work.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Usually the issue is a loss of ground.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

It had just occurred to me that I also did unscrew all the plates and have them hanging as I plan to paint - and as they only have one wire I guess that screw holding the light plate to the roof is the ground. Will try reattaching one and see if that helps. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by druidwood View Post
It had just occurred to me that I also did unscrew all the plates and have them hanging as I plan to paint - and as they only have one wire I guess that screw holding the light plate to the roof is the ground. Will try reattaching one and see if that helps. Thanks.

Bingo I call.

John
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There may be hope for my poor electrical skills yet. I even cleaned my battery terminals without any arc welding recently.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by druidwood View Post
Yep. That would do it. One wire - electricity goes in. It has to come out somewhere - in this case, through the mounting screws.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Something else you could do if you are wanting to use the lights while you are painting or to eliminate the frame screw for ground is to add a dedicated ground wire from each light frame to the body.
I didn't do that to the interior lights but I had a problem with the new lights I added that were surface mounted on top of wood and screwed through the wood to the sheetmetal framing that I added. The first time we went out I Had one of my kids bed/reading light that kept kind of fluttering and everything looked good until I went to back the screws out to check the wiring.
I used painted screws and the light frame was painted so as I turned the screw the scratched spots would spark. So instead of depending on the screws to ground out the fixture I ran a clean and dedicated ground back to the bus body for each of mine.
But I had ran conduit and or tubing for anything new that I did that was inaccessible.
That allowed me the chance to add or replace/upgrade as needed
Have fun and stay safe.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

For LED fanatics. They're diodes so polarity is critical. Testing before installing will give you pos and neg connections. I may convert later but will use the existing coach fixtures they're recessed and look fancy enough for use.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Will do a ground wire on my lights Jolly Roger - as I discovered "condensation" once I was running heat and painting in the bus, so all the metal roofing has to come off, so there goes my ground.