Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Legal paint

browncrown,,i wasn't talking about your bus,,,sorry,,, but the fedral motor carrier said it can be any color has long it not saying school bus,i belive that the FMC takes over any state law,,CAL,, has some crazy laws...

i wish i still had my 59 crown

so iam sorry browncrown.....

keith
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

No problem Keith, I just know that here you are at the mercy of the officer that pulls you over, wether they know the law or not. It's not right, but they got the gun and they take advantage of that.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
i belive that the FMC takes over any state law
I think you will find that local laws ALSO apply. If you are going to drive in other states than your own, why chance it.
In Indiana, where I live, in order to get a title for anything other school use, you can not have ANY portion of it chrome yellow (name of school bus yellow), so the question of can I leave it yellow is a moot point. You can't get a title or license if it is yellow.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
If you are going to drive in other states than your own, why chance it.
In Indiana, where I live, in order to get a title for anything other school use, you can not have ANY portion of it chrome yellow (name of school bus yellow)...
Thanx for the info. Besides being between home and Skunk Haven (metro Cleveland), your state itself has plenty to offer the traveler. That tells me what I need to know: No chrome yellow for the Skunky Bus. Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
[...Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
It object is to make sure that a really dumb kid couldn't possibly think that you have a school bus. Why would you want it to be yellow anyway? I think you are asking for trouble. Half the cops are going to pull you over and check to see if you are a kiddy predator. Also the reason you have to get rid of all the school bus stuff.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
[...Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
It object is to make sure that a really dumb kid couldn't possibly think that you have a school bus. Why would you want it to be yellow anyway? I think you are asking for trouble. Half the cops are going to pull you over and check to see if you are a kiddy predator. Also the reason you have to get rid of all the school bus stuff.
I need to update my avatar!
Though it was fun to make up that picture (an altered eBay photo with only the word "SKUNKY" and some other minor changes to the original school bus), feedback here has helped me figure out how to make the design fit the constraints of the real world. Thank you. The part above the emergency door will likely be one of the colors below (accuracy depends on differences between your computer and the one I'm using). It will get lighter and lighter going past the rear windows, below which the "color" scheme will be NSkBB&W (National Skunky Bus Black & White)
Much as I wish to repurpose them as supplemental brakelights, the upper signal lights (if still present on the bus I buy) will have to go. The body sides will look like, well, a motor home that used to be a school bus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow.jpg (1.2 KB, 638 views)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
BS YOU CAN HAVE IT ANY COLOR YOU WANT ,AS LONG IT DO'SN'T HAVE THE WORDS SAYING ,, (SCHOOL BUS ),,SO AL THIS B.S.. TELLING YOU SO.IS S**t

you got to have (school bus) off it,,,,,that all state's
so,, go paint it S**T brown or T*** pink

cal is srew up ????i live there for 10 yrs and was never stop by chp for the color of my bus YELLOW i guess they though i was a hippy

so don't paint your car or your vw bus ( yellow )

Is that directed at me?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

first. citizens can have guns. besides that for 80 bucks or so practically anyone can get a cc permit good for several states. dont know why, but it has something to do with the constitution...

second,.. haha.. even if reg's required a different color, there are so many shades of yellow (check the master paint chart) that a slight variation of the color would legally have to be considered a different color. then there is also the question does the cal color reg specify school bus only, and what exactly will define that, as some vans haul kids to school via the mom...

i think if ca has that reg, they could have a difficult time enforcing it...

i painted a guy's street rod with the school bus yellow 2 yrs ago.. im waiting for him to drive it from ashland, ore across the cal border so he can get pulled over... its a 31 ply coupe...
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

In Ca don't use "National School Bus Glossy Yellow" It is forbiden. There is a move on nationally to cover the same color---and with good cause. I'm afraid--Uncle Pervo being what he is---! I Use Toyota "Sun Fusion Yellow" which came on the '07 Toyota FJ. I painted my TOAD this color and took it to the CHP and was assured that it would be OK on my '35 skoolie as long as it wasn't trimed in black or said school on it. I'm SURE I'd win in court as if it ain"t National school bus glossy yellow it ain"t National school bus yelllow!!!!---but I don't need to go to court and the battle isn't worth the fight!-----I'll still use the yellow but only as an accent. Cluck cluck you say---Oh Well.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

now post the florida definition of "bus".