Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Legality regarding seats/seatbelts in skoolies?

One would think if you left existing seats in place, they would "Grand Father" over and be legal without. Being that I removed ALL the seats including the drivers seat, and replaced the drivers seat with a truck Air Ride, and installed another Air Ride for shotgun, I'm going aheand and putting in some lap belts.

I can get tan lap belts for $8 plus shipping HERE

Same guy has shoulder belts for $16 HERE

This particular ebay seller has some interesting stuff, including electric wiper motor & control unit, I'm looking at them to replace the air wipers I have now... Everything he's got is RV related...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Legality regarding seats/seatbelts in skoolies?

i just spent entirely too long researching this question in michigan laws, and gave up when i got to the federal website....

i could not find a specific exemption for safety belt usage for RV's, but there are exemptions for buses and a few other vehicles. However michigan does not require seat belts for adult passengers as long as they are not in the front seat. Michigan also does not require seat belts to be worn if there are more passengers than there are seat belts even if there are kids being transported. I didn't know that until 5 minutes ago.

As long as there is only 1 seat belt, and the driver is wearing it and everyone else is somewhere other than the front seat then you are complying with michigan law. I don't know how things work in other states.

here is the link to the website

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yw1...=safety%20belt

it seems that most laws are very similar between states but you'll have to research the law for your own state. I read somewhere that new york DOES require seat belts for kids in an RV.