Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Let there be lights!!!

Has anyone tried taking a couple of the high powered lights from the blinky system and relocating the bulb to their reverse lights? The lenses are exactly the same size. Just wondering if it is worth it ot not. Also, I really dont like the amber turn lights with their silly painted arrows. I replaced the rear signal lenses with red ones from above. Unfortunately, all of my light housings have single filament bulbs. Is there an option to get the 7" round housings with a dual filament bulb so that I can wire up the two red lenses on each side into a tail/stop/signal light combination? I found some LED replacement lights in a 7" round housing that wouls bolt right up, but they are $40 per light. It would cost me $160 for four replacement lights! I already removed the 4" stock tail lights and don't want to replace them. I will put on a single licence plate light in the appropriate spot, but would like to be able to use the 7" round ones exclusively.

Don't like the amber signal lights...

This one still shows the tail lights, but they have been removed. I will use them for my toy trailer. I plan to cover the holes where the right one was and bolt on a licence plate light where the left one was.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSD1623.jpg   DSCN1032_small.jpg  

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Let there be lights!!!

Many buses have dual-filament lights for the 7" red, which function as stop/tail. However, single-filament stop lights are still out there (becoming less popular). They're $13.95 at http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/s ... cat_id=310 (second one on that page), or you can get used ones from another skoolie. LEDs are great but expensive, once I get a bus I'll be putting them in. It might not be until over the summer, but if I end up with a bus with dual-filament stop/tail lights you can have the old ones for the cost of shipping.

I like the idea of using the warning lights as a reverse lights, but I was told years ago those sealed beams aren't really designed for extended use. That would be more of an issue using them as campsite lights, but I know many here have done that also. For the couple minutes you'd use them to back up, I don't see it being a big problem. If you already have the 7" reverse lights, you should be able to splice the wires and use the same screw holes, then put the clear lens back on.