Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Let's Talk Battery Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Do you have any info for completing the windmill - electronics & stand/pole for it to be complete?
Try this guy: http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/ He seems to have the best information on do-it-yourself stuff since he's done a lot of it already. Make sure you check out the formula link as well as the "links" page. There's a wealth of info here... just wish I could understand most of it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I'm on the fence with wind gens now. The more I read, it seems the less interest I have in it. I've actually read some say straight-out "forget it & invest the the money in more PV solar". Again, this would depend on what part of the country you're in (with wind patterns), but from reading what some of those with a fair amount of experience have to say....getting the gen 40-50 feet in the air is flat out of the question for me. That and the investment/return ratio on wind gen seems to be far below that of PV.
I'll admit that installing a horizontal axis windmill would be very impractical for you in your current physical state. But that's the beauty of the vertical axis windmills... they can be placed relatively low to the ground (like hung off the back of your bus) and take advantage of very low wind speed to start up. If you eventually live in any kind of environment where winters are overcast, but windy as hell (or there's constant snow that covers your PV panels), then I'd seriously invest in one form of windmill or another.

Of course, you could always just drive someplace nicer, or find a campground to plug in for the winter ... But where's the fun in THAT???

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Spinning is one thing....being productive is another

Smitty
If I had been able to put my cabin productivity into a bus I would be on the 2nd bus already!!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
Bus Nut

There are motor driven telescoping towers that you can get. I have mostly seen them for Ham Radio antennas, but I don't see why you couldn't mount a TV Dish/antenna, radio, wind generator, etc... on it and just use the motor to put it up and take it down when you wish... Put on the front and one on the back, and you could have a tent for your bus, or line it with tinfoil and have extra protection...

And if your on land that you own, put a slab of concrete down, bolt a metal plate to it with a pivot point and have straight tower and a wench to raise and lower it. Or put up a tower by itself.

...or turn the bus into a baked potato.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
...or turn the bus into a baked potato.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Yeah, I think I'm going to switch over to AGM's from Lead Acid. From what I've researched, the difference is only $0.20 per aH. I'm considering the Deka 8A4D or 8A8D. These will easily fit into an underbody storage bay (or under cabinet storage bay) at only 11" high (plus lugs and connectors).

Now that I'm switching to AGM's I'm not going to worry about drawer slides any more. I don't have to worry about maintenance and if I do have to pull them out (to clean off terminals or what not) it'll only be once a year or so, not worth the price of the slides.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #26
Bus Nut

How heavy are they per battery? How many batteries? How much heavy lifting while bent over? Slides might still be a good idea.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
How heavy are they per battery? How many batteries? How much heavy lifting while bent over? Slides might still be a good idea.
They are 158 lbs a piece, definitely not something to deal with lightly. I would imagine that if/when I do any maintenance on them, I'll build up a temporary shelf next to the bay to slide them on. And leave the height necessary so that I could always add slides later if I really need them. Just not an expense that I have to afford when I first get them / install them.

On lead-acid batteries, slides seem like a really good way to go. Easy to take them out, open them up, measure they're specific gravity, add water, etc... on a monthly basis.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Smitty, Here is good site for off the grid. Lamar runs it & is a wealth of info, plus some good products & great prices... Check it out!
http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/ ... oducts.htm
Jonathan
Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

A person wishes to get rid of a forklift battery. doesnt want a thing for it. I have not seen it or any pictures but they claim 3-4000lbs. says it is out of a reach truck. think the guy is out to lunch or something? also if it is no good is it worth the $ for recycling?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

IF it works and will hold a charge, it would be worth your time, but I doubt it does, or it probably wouldn't be free. You never know until you go find out, though, so go test it. If it works- great, you got a helluva good deal. If it's shot, it's probably not worth your effort lifting and hauling it to the scrappers, because batteries don't fetch much at all, unless you've got tonnage.
My opining.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

ya if it works it would be good but if its crap i know a couple junk dealers.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote