Old 06-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: DD 6V-71
Let's talk framing!

Alright, I'm getting to the point in my build where I can legitimately say we'll be framing in walls soon. What is everyone using for framework? I'm trying to find the cheapest route to accomplish the task. I have a table saw, so if ripping 2x4s down is what I have to do, it can be done. I just want to get the most for my money, not looking to cut any corners with chinsey workmanship.

Note: I have 10 sheets of 3/4" ply on hand, I bought them for replacing the floor, but the floors are solid and don't need replacement. Too late to take it all back, so I have to find a use for it somewhere. How can I use this to my advantage?
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
I'm goin metal...that's all I can say on the subject.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
I'm goin metal...that's all I can say on the subject.
If you have access to a cheap MIG welder and cut-off saw, steel is the way to go. It's light, strong, can get bolted in very securely and 1 inch square mild steel tubing takes up a LOT less space than a pine 2X4. This is very important considering the small spaces in short School Buses. I also think steel is a bit cheaper.

The negatives include the obvious ... you have to know how to weld, but you also have to be careful to mount your steel in a way that it doesn’t pickup heat from outside the RV and bring it inside.

The attached is the combination head and slide out storage unit in my RV. I'd like to post a couple more pictures, but just now the database for this forum won't let me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0371.jpg (157.9 KB, 46 views)
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm going with metal where I'll be needing to route water lines or electrical in walls, you can get metal framing in 2 1/2 "
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
If you have access to a cheap MIG welder and cut-off saw, steel is the way to go. It's light, strong, can get bolted in very securely and 1 inch square mild steel tubing takes up a LOT less space than a pine 2X4. This is very important considering the small spaces in short School Buses. I also think steel is a bit cheaper.

The negatives include the obvious ... you have to know how to weld, but you also have to be careful to mount your steel in a way that it doesn’t pickup heat from outside the RV and bring it inside.

The attached is the combination head and slide out storage unit in my RV. I'd like to post a couple more pictures, but just now the database for this forum won't let me.
Yeah, I have MIG/TIG, hydraulic benders, manual arc benders, you name it. Between the off the shelf metal studs for commercial and doing a 1x1 framing, the freedom to not have to build on "squares" in terms of design feels pretty free to me. My bus will be having quite a bit of metal uses throughout, even for surfaces/seating/etc.

The issue is certainly of conducting heat into the interior though. I'm weighing how much of a REAL factor that'd be, as I don't think many real world results are known. Most people here built out of wood.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
Yeah, I have MIG/TIG, hydraulic benders, manual arc benders, you name it. Between the off the shelf metal studs for commercial and doing a 1x1 framing, the freedom to not have to build on "squares" in terms of design feels pretty free to me. My bus will be having quite a bit of metal uses throughout, even for surfaces/seating/etc.

The issue is certainly of conducting heat into the interior though. I'm weighing how much of a REAL factor that'd be, as I don't think many real world results are known. Most people here built out of wood.
Sounds like you have nice shop!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for the busses with al lthe steel tubing covered in nice finish materials.. are these busses noisy going down the road? not that a sachool bus is quiet anyway.. things rattle.. but does the metal framing creek and clang and bang alot?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for the busses with al lthe steel tubing covered in nice finish materials.. are these busses noisy going down the road? not that a school bus is quiet anyway.. things rattle.. but does the metal framing creek and clang and bang alot?
-Christopher
You are right ... any material that isn't assembled correctly or securely bolted down is going to make all kinds of noise. I think you could also say, anything that isn't braced properly can rack and distort, leading to even more noise.

Whichever material a builder uses, wood or steel, both have the capacity to be noisy going down the road.

Therefore, it is important that the builder builds in braces to prevent racking and mounts his structures securely and in such a way that they don't have any chance to do rattle, clang and bang.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
not that school busses in general dont rattle anyway... a month or so ago I was in a 2016 IC CE300 with less than 1000 miles on it and it rattled over the bumps... I think the windows and the metal ceiling are big culprit in the rattles... at least on that new bus...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sounds like you have nice shop!
I've been building custom forced induction systems, tube chassis', headers/intake manifolds since the late 90's. Just accumulated what I needed over the years. I had a lot more, but my last cross country relocation forced me to sell of a lot of lifts, my chassis dyno, etc. Trying to build back...

I think it's possible that some of the real impact of having "conductivity" to the outside of the bus, is a bit potentially over stated. I have no doubt that insulating the bus to the greatest extent possible is in your best interest. I just question that having some contact with the roof material is going to impact your internal temperatures to that extent. Mild steel is not a great conductor for one, and I think windows are far more of a weak point, than metal contact points are.

That said, I'm not 100% on my "fastening" approach, when it comes to walls, pieces, etc. Rattles, shaking, etc is a concern, and the more structural in the nature the metal framing is, the more solid the entire structure will become, going down the road. That said, do you weld to the floor and the ceiling...not sure on that one, but I do think, in my case, welding will be involved.

One thing I don't think many consider is, in such a small space, wood 2x4 framing takes up a hell of a lot of room. Metal can give that kind of structural solidarity, with far less footprint, and likely equal to or less weight. That said though, I don't think "skoolie conversions" have really laid out a, what to do and what not to, type of guide yet.