Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Question Leveling Jacks!!??

Does anyone have any pictures/Recommendations for Frame mounted Leveling/stabilizing jacks? I like this style.. Why wont they work? I want the ability to use the jack to actually change a tire if need be.. On my full size RE Skoolie..

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...tails=.reviews

Old 03-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
That looks pretty cool! My only question would be how much travel the telescope has, and if you would need blocks to be able to make it work. The frame on these busses is quite high, and I think is probably the only sturdy option for mounting. You may end up having to crawl way under your bus and then use significant blocks to get a bite with the jack. All that said, if you get a working system I'm sure many of us here would be fascinated.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Almost There

With the drop foot, the total travel is 24" I think. They have larger ones too. what do you guys use?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I just use leveling blocks...RVs often have stabilizing jacks, but I don't think they are intended to carry the weight of the vehicle. As compared to an RV most of our busses have such rigid suspension that we don't really need stabilization. I know coaches sometimes have push button electrically operated jacks that will automatically level! I know I would at least investigate servo controlled jacks if I were trying to do it. Crawling under the bus 4x and wrangling each jack by hand seems like a lot of work.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Using the leveling jack to raise the bus up, you'd have to raise the full height of the suspension compression, plus any droop/sag in the leaf springs. At that height/extension, the jack might not be vertical anymore, increasing the chances of the bus trying to fall forwards/backwards. Much easier and safer IMO to jack up under the axle, raise it 2 or 3 inches and then do the tire change.

Most of the leveling/jacking systems I've seen don't extend all that far, and they're not rated to lift the coach, more so to just stabilize any rocking from side-side when parked. (In theory, even if the jacks failed, the coach would only drop a couple inches onto the blocking under the wheels.) If you're parked on grass, often you get to crawl under the coach and throw down some blocking anyways, because the jacks compress the dirt rather then lifting the coach.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
I use blocks to get the bus mostly level and a mechanical bottle jack from an old ford pickup at each corner to get the level just right. The bumper on my bus and I think most skoolies is strong enough to jack on. Saw the jack handle off and chuck it in your cordless drill for fast up and down. If you have a child of the appropriate age and ability you can have voice operated leveling jacks, you can't even get that as an option on a Prevost!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170618_194659.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	30483

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_184338.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	30484
Like this
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
hydraulic rams could be an option - rams are not all that expensive and a 12v hydraulic pump can be had for $200 - $300, giving the option of operating all sorts of hydraulically moved items
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Soujourner built some slick leveling Jack's detailed in his build thread.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Almost There

I was thinking of some Air over Hydro setup being I have an onboard compressor... But worried about the hydros leaking over time... Main reason for jacks, is I'm building a large rooftop deck. That's why I want the stability of the frame mounted kind.. Blocks work great to level it. But nothing to stabilise it, especially with a roof deck.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
I was thinking of some Air over Hydro setup being I have an onboard compressor... But worried about the hydros leaking over time... Main reason for jacks, is I'm building a large rooftop deck. That's why I want the stability of the frame mounted kind.. Blocks work great to level it. But nothing to stabilise it, especially with a roof deck.
lift with jacks, then block for safety?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Level with blocks. Jacks under corners for stability and fine adjustment.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
those jacks would work for making the bus stabile, I would likely still drive on levelling blocks first and then fine tune with the jacks. You don't need to lift the bus for stability you just have to take up some of the preload in the suspension.
If it were me given you want to have a rooftop patio, I would make up a jack frame for the rear at the very least so you can put the jacks out at the corners. This is what I would have as fixed to the chassis and then make an adaptor for those jacks to go into. You may still need a variety of jacking pads to be able to have good travel and contact.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
One thing I did not see touched on - these jacks are intended to be welded onto the frame. Most bus frames are heat treated metal and many have warnings about welding and such. I would *NOT* weld on the frame unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

These are medium duty trailer jacks, which is rated for 10K/12K pounds (lift/support, respectively). Some campers and many gooseneck flatbed type trailers use these.

If it were me, I'd get something similar to the following link. This is the same super-heavy-duty landing gear found under many road trailers and will easily support even the heaviest bus. They do make lower profile versions, and most bolt to the frame, eliminating the need for welding. Shop around, they are commonly and widely available at many road trailer parts places.

https://www.myteeproducts.com/landin...RoC8AkQAvD_BwE
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I just use leveling blocks...RVs often have stabilizing jacks, but I don't think they are intended to carry the weight of the vehicle. As compared to an RV most of our busses have such rigid suspension that we don't really need stabilization. I know coaches sometimes have push button electrically operated jacks that will automatically level! I know I would at least investigate servo controlled jacks if I were trying to do it. Crawling under the bus 4x and wrangling each jack by hand seems like a lot of work.
My buddy has a Monoco Class A with 3 point hydraulic leveling jacks (from the factory). They will lift the entire rig off the ground with no problem. Look at one like the Bigfoot for ideas if you want to build your own.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack, leveling, stabilizing