Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

License laws & Skoolie challenges in Louisiana

Hi all,

Previous skoolie owner in NY (short bus) but I'm now in New Orleans and skoolie-less, because of the move. I miss here, but I passed the skoolie bug and the bus on to a young family,who love it.

I am looking to re-skoolie in the next year (full size bus this time) and just starting to check into logistics for the state of Louisiana. I had a dig around the forums here, and on-line, but not really finding answers to my questions.

Before I approach the DNV (Lord save me!), I thought I'll ask the experts here as to issues with being a skoolie-owner in Louisiana. If the bus has air breaks, do I need to get a CDL in this state? If so, what's the best/cheapest way to get this? Any other challenges to getting/owning a skoolie in this state?

Any help, insight, or views will be appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Every state does things differently when it comes to driver's licenses.

If the bus is registered as a bus, if the bus is over 15-pax and under 26,000 GVWR it will require a CDL Class 'C' with a passenger endorsement. If the bus is over 15-pax and over 26,001 GVWR then it will require a CDL Class 'B' with a passenger endorsement. If the bus has air brakes you will need the air brake restriction taken off.

If the bus is registered as an RV, regardless of size or type of brakes, most jurisdictions only require a basic driver's license.

There are a few jurisdictions that have different licenses that cover larger RV's that are not CDL's. And there are a few jurisdictions, British Columbia being one of them, that require an air brake endorsement or the air brake restriction taken off in order to drive any vehicle with air brakes.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
This site has state reg's listed in a handy format: RV Driver's License Requirements
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Skoolie

Just noticed this thread....

I have had both my buses (with air brakes) registered in Louisiana. Was no problem at all.

Also was told no need for CDL etc as it was a private vehicle.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post

If the bus is registered as a bus, if the bus is over 15-pax and under 26,000 GVWR it will require a CDL Class 'C' with a passenger endorsement. If the bus is over 15-pax and over 26,001 GVWR then it will require a CDL Class 'B' with a passenger endorsement. If the bus has air brakes you will need the air brake restriction taken off.
This doesnt apply in the State of Louisiana. Even with it registered as a bus, as long as you dont carry over 15 people you are good to go with just your regular license, regardless of actual capacity.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote