Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
lifting the suspension on a genesis

Has any one installed a lift block or lift kit to there bus. I just measured my distance from top of wheel to top of wheel well. It is with air bleed from the bags. 6.5" rubber to well in center. With full pressure bags give 3" of lift. If a 6" lift block was used front and rear you can eliminate the interior wheel well to level.

Does this mean you have 3" of wheel travel? Maybe I only need 3" blocks. any help here would be appreciated.

The wheel well in the rear is where I would like the front wheels of the car I am putting in there and i want it flat.

Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
Has any one installed a lift block or lift kit to there bus. I just measured my distance from top of wheel to top of wheel well. It is with air bleed from the bags. 6.5" rubber to well in center. With full pressure bags give 3" of lift. If a 6" lift block was used front and rear you can eliminate the interior wheel well to level.

Does this mean you have 3" of wheel travel? Maybe I only need 3" blocks. any help here would be appreciated.

The wheel well in the rear is where I would like the front wheels of the car I am putting in there and i want it flat.
depending on your bus gearing, if it is tall gears you could drop down a size or 2 in tires and gain a couple inches... im thinking the difference in the old tires on DEV and the new tires i put on was 2" going from 10R22.5 to 11R22.5.

my new bus has little wheels and tires on it and I could easily flatten its floor if I wanted.. but it is factory built that way and has 3.56 gears...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
depending on your bus gearing, if it is tall gears you could drop down a size or 2 in tires and gain a couple inches... im thinking the difference in the old tires on DEV and the new tires i put on was 2" going from 10R22.5 to 11R22.5.

my new bus has little wheels and tires on it and I could easily flatten its floor if I wanted.. but it is factory built that way and has 3.56 gears...

-Christopher
Right now the suspension and tire height is just below the floor. So the lift is just what ever the wheel travel is. Looks like I can just remove the steering rod from them steering box to the front tie rod. Then cut it and rebuild it so it has the same drop as the blocks are for lifting the chassis. I don't see anything else on the front moving with a block lift.

I still need to look over the rear end and see if its as simple. Huge job but not complicated. I think i'll order four big jacks so i can get off the ground and take off the wheels to take a look. With the tires on I should be able to remove the shackles and raise the bus frame slip in the blocks and new longer shackles. Lower it back down. Now to find a jack with that much travel.

Can you put the semi truck rims on that are 24"?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive seen coaches with 24.5" rims.. but have never seen a skoolie with that...

wouldnt bigger wheels make the tire height protrude More into the floor area you want to level out?

im not sure ive seen a Budd 24.5".. ive seen hub pilot 24.5's..

someone like brad_swiftur has good knowledges of trucks and what fits what... maybe he will chime in here..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

10-hole disc wheels come in both hub piloted and stud piloted versions.

I have put 24.5" wheels on several buses. The limiting factors are wheel well clearance and steering clearance on the front axle.

The 11x20 is exactly the same size as a 12x22.5 or 11.24.5 tire.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
10-hole disc wheels come in both hub piloted and stud piloted versions.

I have put 24.5" wheels on several buses. The limiting factors are wheel well clearance and steering clearance on the front axle.

The 11x20 is exactly the same size as a 12x22.5 or 11.24.5 tire.

I was just curious about the wheel sizes i wasn't sure if it was the same bolt pattern. is it a heavier duty tire.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Because they are larger they do hold some more weight.

For your purposes you will never overload one of those tires unless you really mess up your build and put too much weight somewhere.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote