Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
That works too. Just no Lima beans.
Haha Lima beans are the worst.

livelovelaugh91897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A "floor lower"...
That's a lot better now I can be like those old cadiallacs that bounce with the beat :')
Old 09-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaHasAPlan View Post
Here's my opinion as a single woman (for what it's worth):

I have a lot of welders in my family who will help me if I ask, but I still don't want a roof raise. I'm tall for a woman, but I don't think having a low ceiling will bother me. I plan to be a Snow Bird, so I won't be needing a whole lot of insulation. Sure, I'll stuff as much as I can in there, but I'm not going to obsess about it.

The main things for full-timing will be looking for a bus with little to no rust, easy and cheap to work on mechanical issues, and enough power to get over mountains.

I'm looking at DT466 or better engines, or Cummins 8.3. CAT engines are expensive to work on even though they're good, so unless you have deep pockets, stay away.

Oh, and stay away from AT545 transmissions. There's at least one member here who can't even give his away. Apparently, they're worse than garbage.
If a taller woman can handle a low roof then so can I. Although my mom is pressuring the roof raise on me but I don't know any welders or where to find them and I won't do it on my own or the entire lid would fall off and never get back on.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Plain and simple, if your living in a bus full time, you just don't have enough room to insulate properly without a roof raise.

Welders in your family make no difference when it comes to raising a school bus roof. Welding is not needed.

Nat
Do you have link for a step by step dummies roof raise?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovelaugh91897 View Post
Read WMK Bailey's thread The Journey Visvi 1999 Thomas MVP ER. He discusses, therein, how to do a roof raise safely, and by yourself.

Personally, I have no plans for a roof raise on my bus, but I do respect those who do, and do it properly

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
If a taller woman can handle a low roof then so can I. Although my mom is pressuring the roof raise on me but I don't know any welders or where to find them and I won't do it on my own or the entire lid would fall off and never get back on.
Parents are always against such things, yours must be unique.
Nat did his with bolts instead of welding.
But if you know good welders, that's the way 80% of us would/will do it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My old roof raise was a combination of welding and heavy duty rivets.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Not yet, but I'm going to have to make one.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I will have a home in a cabinet or other secure area for everything that will be on the bus regardless of where it will spend most of its time. It seems like a waste of good space but very necessary. As we will be full timing, it may be easier than some to designate a "place for everything" as that's is all we will have.

I have a couple of antique oil lamps a coffee maker, an induction cooktop & sometimes the oven that will just sit out while camping. They already have a dedicated spot in the cabinets when we're on the road. I have a few houseplants that will stay out, but boxes have been built for them to sit in when mobile. My laptop will go in its case when not in use and secured inside the entertainment cabinet. The printer will be stored and brought out when I need to print something.

Like Bansil, while Hubby is outside prepping bus to move, I will be packing up everything inside for travel. It will take a lot less time to do this every time we move than it would a trip to the ER for stitches. And the amount of time to unpack & place all the knick knacky things will probably take less time for me than it's gonna take Hubby to do the "outside" stuffs.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Read WMK Bailey's thread The Journey Visvi 1999 Thomas MVP ER. He discusses, therein, how to do a roof raise safely, and by yourself.

Personally, I have no plans for a roof raise on my bus, but I do respect those who do, and do it properly
Thank you I will check this out.

Tags
general, newbie, traveling