Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

live and drive?

So I know it's a silly question but while looking at ,Pinterest a great source of ideas, I realize that a lot of the buses have loose knickknacks. And then I was reading more and it seems that people use buses to just live in them(i know it's pretty obvious) but my question is:
Can you live in them and travel say year round? How much is too much for a bus weight wise? How far have you gone with your bus and do you live in your bus full time?
I know it's a silly question but I would rather ask then assume. Thanks for all the replys in advance.

livelovelaugh91897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovelaugh91897 View Post
So I know it's a silly question but while looking at ,Pinterest a great source of ideas, I realize that a lot of the buses have loose knickknacks. And then I was reading more and it seems that people use buses to just live in them(i know it's pretty obvious) but my question is:
Can you live in them and travel say year round? How much is too much for a bus weight wise? How far have you gone with your bus and do you live in your bus full time?
I know it's a silly question but I would rather ask then assume. Thanks for all the replys in advance.
GVWR from wiki-
Quote:
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.
The weight of a vehicle is influenced by passengers, cargo, even fuel level, so a number of terms are used to express the weight of a vehicle in a designated state. Gross combined weight rating refers to the total mass of a vehicle, including all trailers. GVWR and GCWR both describe a vehicle that is in operation and are used to specify weight limitations and restrictions. Curb weight describes a vehicle which is "parked at the curb" and excludes the weight of any occupants or cargo. Dry weight further excludes the weight of all consumables, such as fuel and oils. Gross trailer weight rating specifies the maximum weight of a trailer and the gross axle weight rating specifies the maximum weight on any particular axle.
Just check the bus' GVWR and don't go over it... at least too far.
My bus weighs 17.9k as an empty shell... I doubt that any amount of building onto it will max out its 34k GVWR.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
So I know it's a silly question but while looking at ,Pinterest a great source of ideas, I realize that a lot of the buses have loose knickknacks.
Yes, I see that all the time. Those people - as far as I can tell - don't move their bus very often. They park and live in them. Some of the ones I've seen on Pinterest or Instagram would be terrifying to have on the road, what with all the glass on high shelves and unsecured furniture.
Everyone has their own idea of what they want to do with their bus. I built mine so that there are NO loose knick knacks so we can be on the road in no time. When it's time to go on the road I just do a quick round of the bus latching all the cupboard doors, turning off the propane, making sure I didn't put objects anywhere silly (like on the top of the wood stove)... The chimney pops off in an instant. The solar panels take 20 minutes to bring down and secure. When I'm on the road I don't bother putting them up, but when I'll be parked for a while I'll angle them appropriately.

Quote:
Can you live in them and travel say year round?
Yes. Build with mobility in mind. Secure everything. Build cabinets with latching doors and drawers. Whenever I add something to the bus I think of what it would do in the event of a crash. If it scares you then it's wrong.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Fabulous philosophy Jazty

Whenever I add something to the bus I think of what it would do in the event of a crash. If it scares you then it's wrong.

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I won't be getting hit in the back of head with a 10 pound cast iron skillet. Well at least now that I don't have a girlfriend.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Welcome

The single most important part of a full time living bus is insulation.

In order to have enough roof and floor space for that insulation, you need to raise the roof minimum 12 inches.

IMO I would not live in a bus without a roof raise.

Best bet is head over to the build thread section and start reading. Everything you need to know is there. You will get a great ton of idea's for your own bus.

I read every build that happens here. It's my favorite section and pass time.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Yes, I see that all the time. Those people - as far as I can tell - don't move their bus very often. They park and live in them. Some of the ones I've seen on Pinterest or Instagram would be terrifying to have on the road, what with all the glass on high shelves and unsecured furniture.
Everyone has their own idea of what they want to do with their bus. I built mine so that there are NO loose knick knacks so we can be on the road in no time. When it's time to go on the road I just do a quick round of the bus latching all the cupboard doors, turning off the propane, making sure I didn't put objects anywhere silly (like on the top of the wood stove)... The chimney pops off in an instant. The solar panels take 20 minutes to bring down and secure. When I'm on the road I don't bother putting them up, but when I'll be parked for a while I'll angle them appropriately.

Yes. Build with mobility in mind. Secure everything. Build cabinets with latching doors and drawers. Whenever I add something to the bus I think of what it would do in the event of a crash. If it scares you then it's wrong.
Thank you so much for the reply I'm glad I'm not the only one terrified with all the knickknacks. But I definitely will take mobility into account.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I won't be getting hit in the back of head with a 10 pound cast iron skillet. Well at least now that I don't have a girlfriend.
Haha that funny
Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Welcome

The single most important part of a full time living bus is insulation.

In order to have enough roof and floor space for that insulation, you need to raise the roof minimum 12 inches.

IMO I would not live in a bus without a roof raise.

Best bet is head over to the build thread section and start reading. Everything you need to know is there. You will get a great ton of idea's for your own bus.

I read every build that happens here. It's my favorite section and pass time.

Nat
Why a roof raise? Is there another way other than roof raise?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Bus Geek

it takes me about 1 beer to get setup, we store everything that is loose in milk crates (lamps, s/p holders, art and knicknacks etc)

1st thing when we arrive:

We level out and park, as I go and check power pole, wife pulls out water hose and sewer hose and sets them outside and starts by putting milk crates on table and counters

I grab the power cable and we both get off the bus, I plug in and she check's for polarity (peek into window at tester plugged into receptacle) and I use a fluk meter on a couple places of bus and then give a clear, she goes up and gets a glass of wine and a beer for me, at this point I have water and sewer hooked up, I let her know and she bleeds water lines and turns on toilet fill, I flip switch for water heater and in 15 min we are relaxing

Getting ready to leave takes a couple hours to get everything put up

we store the ice cream maker and kuerig in the sink with a towel between them, and they then go onto windshield ledge when parked

We work good together
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Why a roof raise? Is there another way other than roof raise?
A "floor lower"...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #12
Almost There

Here's my opinion as a single woman (for what it's worth):

I have a lot of welders in my family who will help me if I ask, but I still don't want a roof raise. I'm tall for a woman, but I don't think having a low ceiling will bother me. I plan to be a Snow Bird, so I won't be needing a whole lot of insulation. Sure, I'll stuff as much as I can in there, but I'm not going to obsess about it.

The main things for full-timing will be looking for a bus with little to no rust, easy and cheap to work on mechanical issues, and enough power to get over mountains.

I'm looking at DT466 or better engines, or Cummins 8.3. CAT engines are expensive to work on even though they're good, so unless you have deep pockets, stay away.

Oh, and stay away from AT545 transmissions. There's at least one member here who can't even give his away. Apparently, they're worse than garbage.
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
That's just awesome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
it takes me about 1 beer to get setup, we store everything that is loose in milk crates (lamps, s/p holders, art and knicknacks etc)

We level out and park, as I go and check power pole, wife pulls out water hose and sewer hose and sets them outside and starts by putting milk crates on table and counters

I grab the power cable and we both get off the bus, I plug in and she check's for polarity (peek into window at tester plugged into receptacle) and I use a fluk meter on a couple places of bus and then give a clear, she goes up and gets a glass of wine and a beer for me, at this point I have water and sewer hooked up, I let her know and she bleeds water lines and turns on toilet fill, I flip switch for water heater and in 15 min we are relaxing

we store the ice cream maker and kuerig in the sink with a towel between them, and they then go onto windshield ledge when parked

We work good together
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:

We work good together
Dude, you've got it dialed in. Ice cream, coffee, beer and wine. The only thing missing is a good steak.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Bus Geek

We eat more surf than turf when Glamping, whatever is local
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #16

Quote:
We eat more surf than turf when Glamping, whatever is local
That works too. Just no Lima beans.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

We work good together
Wow that sounds complicated and fun you are very lucky to have a nice partner. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Plain and simple, if your living in a bus full time, you just don't have enough room to insulate properly without a roof raise.

Welders in your family make no difference when it comes to raising a school bus roof. Welding is not needed.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5 speed Manual
Rated Cap: 35
road life

Me and a friend have been living in our medium sized bus since January. We are originally from Chicago and came out to the West Coast to promote our music and get away from the harsh winters haha.

I would second the notion of building with easy stowing in mind. The most useful things we bought have been bungee chords and metal rings to attach to the bus frame. We built some shelves and made some nice rope nets so our bus has a sort of ship feel to it.

Coleman stoves are amazing, don't mess with Wal Mart brand stoves, literally had a valve blow on that thing and it was almost a huge problem, very scary.

When you hit a new town, if you have a bike or skateboard do some exploring to find bathrooms, (starbucks, Mcdonalds, etc...) public libraries, check parking restrictions, and find places away from houses. That is... if you want to go unseen, find the more industrial parts of town.

A sweet paint job is a great way to break the ice with people. We have met so many cool people on the road because they have been dazzled by our paint job ;) Also I tend to think cops bug you less if it looks cool, but that's just a theory.

Sleeping bags are always great, we have not insulated our bus and I can say when we slept in in the Rockies, it was very cold, not pleasant at all.

That's just a quick run down. Maybe I'll do a bigger write up later.

Yay for busses!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Watch the documentary called "Death by China" and you will know why the Walmart stove blew up.

Nat

Tags
general, newbie, traveling