Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Logical steps of Bus conversion

Hey guys and gals,

I have been lurking on here for a while and this has kind of hit me. I havent seen a sort of road map or blue print as to how one should go about converting. I was wondering if those who have done it would be willing to share sort of a step by step guide as to how they got from start to finish? I am the collecting of pieces stage and will need to be executing before too long.

Reason why I ask this is I have done a few car restorations. The early ones I did things way out of order and ended up doing things over and wasting money in the process. I dont want to make the same mistake here.

This is my loose game plan depending on what you guys say? Granted I bought a bus with the windows already out and the outside skinned as well as the seats removed and the floor plywood is alread down.

1) Remove interior sheet metal panels on the side. Not the over head but just to the windows (or whats left of them in my case)
2) Insulate the sides. Plan on using 1.5 poly iso and doubling it up where I can?
3) Install windows.
4) wire up power runs
5) install plumbing: Shower, toilet, sink, holding tanks
6) paint interior
7)install flooring (laminate)
install seating
9) Paint exterior

I know some of these can happen at the same time but the output is only as ambitious as my wallet. Let me know if there is flaws in my game plans

thanks

Bapos

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Logical steps of Bus conversion

Part of the problem with that is not everyone is converting the same or to the same level. We all have different needs and will use our buses in different ways. We will be living in the bus full time. We currently fulltime in a sticks-n-staples (literally) Class C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
This is my loose game plan depending on what you guys say? Granted I bought a bus with the windows already out and the outside skinned as well as the seats removed and the floor plywood is already down.

1) Remove interior sheet metal panels on the side. Not the over head but just to the windows (or whats left of them in my case)
No way will we remove all those rivets. I firmly believe that BlueBird paid their workers based on the amount of rivets and screws used in the creation of the bus.
Quote:
2) Insulate the sides. Plan on using 1.5 poly iso and doubling it up where I can?
We are adding 1" Foamular over the interior skin. Our walls already have 1.5" insulation... and very nice insulation at that.
Quote:
3) Install windows.
We kept part of our original windows and skinned/insulated the remainder
Quote:
4) wire up power runs
At some point we will shift back inside and run the heavy duty extension cords we are using for AC and DC wiring
Quote:
You forgot the galley...
Quote:
6) paint interior
That is one of the last things we will do as we will probably end up moving in before it gets walls skinned with plywood
Quote:
Armstrong commercial composition tiles. Heavy, durable stuff. We put it in our pop-up and it held up well over the many years in the public (read DIRT/GRAVEL) campgrounds. If at a later date, we decide to install wood flooring we can go right over it. But probably not. I'm not into cleaning and the wood floors are more upkeep than I am inclined to do.
Quote:
install seating
Already installed, mostly to keep the chairs out of our way.
Quote:
9) Paint exterior
I'm doing the exterior NOW. we are getting temps 100F and up. It will take a while to paint since I can only paint before the sun gets too high and hot. Also I am getting the exterior painted because we will most likely move in as soon as we get a working galley and bathroom.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

What Lorna said.

If you live in Indiana, and some other states as well, you can't have any part of the bus the original chrome yellow. Painting has to be my main priority, but, I am skinning everything and putting in new windows which makes that come before the paint. After that is done, I'll carry on in interior to get it usable in order to do steel tent camping while the amenities progress. Since the computer room means business money it will be the first room to be finished. Unfortunately it's in the front which means I will have to carry supplies through a finished room.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I think I would install plumbing, electrical {12vdc, 120VAC,, television and IT} before I insulated.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I pondered the wiring before the insualtion but I am not going to have worlds of electrical. This is more of a party/tailgate bus which is why I dont need a huge galley. Sink, cabinets, and a microwave is about all we will do.

I am thinking if I need some of the wire runs I will have the chase for them where the top of the window channel meets the curve of the ceiling?

Again thanks for the input.

Keep them coming.

Bapos
Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Wish I had installed all laminate flooring throughout as well. The carpet is holding up ok, but so much easier to just put down some throw rugs that will wash for cleaning.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I know there are scores to be had on ebay. Only thing is how people list them. Are there specific key words your using? I know this is the case on Craigslist?

Case in point if you search "window" you only get some listings.... If you search "windows" you get the prior search and more.

Good info people. Keep it rollin.

Bapos
Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
Wish I had installed all laminate flooring throughout as well. The carpet is holding up ok, but so much easier to just put down some throw rugs that will wash for cleaning.
Honey, they are called "throw" rugs for a reason.... when they get really dirty, you "throw" them away!!!!

"The only domestic thing about me is that I USED to live in a house!"
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I guess to throw this back in line with what I am asking....

Is this the logical steps to take on doing this....

Bapos
Old 07-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I don't really see any flaws in your plan, I think the more important part is that you have a plan.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Logical step #1: don't do it. Logical step #2: buy"the best bus" you can afford.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1 View Post
I think I would install plumbing, electrical {12vdc, 120VAC,, television and IT} before I insulated.
Thats my plan....for now.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I have been lurking on here for a while and this has kind of hit me. I havent seen a sort of road map or blue print as to how one should go about converting. I was wondering if those who have done it would be willing to share sort of a step by step guide as to how they got from start to finish? I am the collecting of pieces stage and will need to be executing before too long.

Reason why I ask this is I have done a few car restorations. The early ones I did things way out of order and ended up doing things over and wasting money in the process. I dont want to make the same mistake here.

This is my loose game plan depending on what you guys say? Granted I bought a bus with the windows already out and the outside skinned as well as the seats removed and the floor plywood is alread down.

3) Install windows.
4) wire up power runs
6) paint interior
install seating
9) Paint exterior

I know some of these can happen at the same time but the output is only as ambitious as my wallet. Let me know if there is flaws in my game plans

thanks

Bapos
Ok this is my first and here's my sequence :
1) Remove seats (done)
2) Remove floors cover holes insulate and refloor.
3) walls and ceiling insulation remove unwanted windows and skin over
4) lay out floor plan what goes where
5) plumbing bath and holding tanks
6) generator mounting and propane systems. L.p. for gen set.
7) coach batteries
low voltage electrical
9) high voltage electrical and power distribution center
10) built in components beds lounges bar kitchen cabinets fridge etc.

I'm proceeding as I acquire components. Also while I can still drive the beast. May have to live in it on the jobsite while converting it. I'm renting/ buying 2 properties can't afford 3 so if the offer comes ill be converting as I go. Store every night and cooking on the pump up stove.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote