Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

No one is terrified about updating or upgrading cooling systems.

The problem is all in where you are going to be putting the upgraded systems. It isn't just a matter of making new mounts. It is all about getting additional air flow through the cooling system. Radiators in buses are huge. In addition most buses have well over 100' of coolant lines running to all of the heater and defroster units. Most buses have in excess of 20 gallons of coolant in their systems. And they will still overheat if you run them hard enough.

And no, you can't just do an electronic update to increase HP in a bus. The systems used in buses are not the same as that which is used in Dodge trucks.

Even if you could just do an electronic update, if your bus has the 5.9/ISC and it is hooked to an Allison AT540 transmission and you put 350 HP into it you will end up dead by the side of the road within just a few hundred miles. If you happen to have the Allison MT640 transmission you will end up dead by the side of the road in a few thousand miles. If you are lucky to have the Allison MD3060 you might see 50,000 miles.

I am not trying to be negative so much as trying to let you know that if you continue on the path you seem to want to take you are going to be disappointed and broke.

I will try and say this as nicely as I can: Your off road, racing, and hot rodding experience will help you in fabricating and building your bus conversion. But most of what you learned in fabricating and building engines in the past will not crossover into the bus world for two main reasons. First, the components that are used in medium duty trucks and buses are not the same components that are used in light duty trucks. Second, and the most critical part, all has to do with weight. Light duty truck OEM's are all excited about GCVWR's of 30,000+lbs. Most full size Type 'C' and 'D' buses weigh in excess of 25,000 lbs. empty.

Given enough time and $$$ you can achieve just about anything. But if you start with a bus with big HP and highway gearing you will save yourself a lot of time and a lot of $$$.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Well Jack........................ do not forget, in the end

It is your bus, your vision, your time and your money.

Do what YOU want with YOUR bus.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofallmasterof0 View Post
My experience is based on wheeling, mudding and rock crawling with a coworker, they guys running DT, International and Caterpillar rigs constantly complained of the cost and lack of availability of parts, especially when wheeling out in the boonies, your average rural auto parts store simply does not stock them. But you can find 5.9 parts in just about everywhere.
Someone's told you wrong, man. The DT's are amazing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Well Jack........................ do not forget, in the end

It is your bus, your vision, your time and your money.

Do what YOU want with YOUR bus.
Double 07 is 100% correct.

It is going to be your bus, you are going to do with it what you think is best, it is your time, and it is your $$$. How you do it is 100% your decision.

My only point in all of my above comments are said in the hope that you will start with a platform that meets the most of your requirements so you don't waste time, effort, and $$$ needlessly.

Good luck and Happy Trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
No one is terrified about updating or upgrading cooling systems.

The problem is all in where you are going to be putting the upgraded systems. It isn't just a matter of making new mounts. It is all about getting additional air flow through the cooling system. Radiators in buses are huge. In addition most buses have well over 100' of coolant lines running to all of the heater and defroster units. Most buses have in excess of 20 gallons of coolant in their systems. And they will still overheat if you run them hard enough.

And no, you can't just do an electronic update to increase HP in a bus. The systems used in buses are not the same as that which is used in Dodge trucks.

Even if you could just do an electronic update, if your bus has the 5.9/ISC and it is hooked to an Allison AT540 transmission and you put 350 HP into it you will end up dead by the side of the road within just a few hundred miles. If you happen to have the Allison MT640 transmission you will end up dead by the side of the road in a few thousand miles. If you are lucky to have the Allison MD3060 you might see 50,000 miles.

I am not trying to be negative so much as trying to let you know that if you continue on the path you seem to want to take you are going to be disappointed and broke.

I will try and say this as nicely as I can: Your off road, racing, and hot rodding experience will help you in fabricating and building your bus conversion. But most of what you learned in fabricating and building engines in the past will not crossover into the bus world for two main reasons. First, the components that are used in medium duty trucks and buses are not the same components that are used in light duty trucks. Second, and the most critical part, all has to do with weight. Light duty truck OEM's are all excited about GCVWR's of 30,000+lbs. Most full size Type 'C' and 'D' buses weigh in excess of 25,000 lbs. empty.

Given enough time and $$$ you can achieve just about anything. But if you start with a bus with big HP and highway gearing you will save yourself a lot of time and a lot of $$$.

Wise words without a doubt.

If the OP enjoys long stretches of reasonably trouble free travel he would be well served to pay heed.

However, for some folks the joy come from the building, modifying and tinkering not the use that comes when it is done.

If the OP enjoys turning wrenches instead of traveling then he should pursue what he enjoys.

I look forward to following his build while I head to Belize.

Anyone know where I can park my Bluebird on Ambergris Caye?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote