Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Long term living

Originally Posted by Malkieri
...Diesel Dan's got 1 that is eerily similar to ours...
I like the size of my bus. I don't live in it full time though. I have a family of 5, and although it's tight, it's manageable for a few weeks at a time, so long as we spread out to the outside for cooking, etc., and the bus is mainly used for sleeping, using the bathroom, and escaping the Texas heat. I don't think I'd get a shorter bus. If I were to move down in size, I'd be thinking about one of those Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter vans, or maybe a Ford F350 shuttle bus, or something else that is not quite as cantankerous as a school bus. Cutting off the rear end of a bus is something you don't see very often, but I can see how it would help if you wanted to navigate off-road-ish terrain and not get hung up. The "roads" you pictured are closer to trails in my opinion, and I would never dream of trying to get a bus down any of those. The amount of lurching with such a top-heavy vehicle would scare me off that idea. Plus, the inevitable low-hanging branches, etc. Getting a bus stuck, or rolled, out in a place like that could be a very expensive proposition. One of our skoolie contributers, Rudy, (AKA "Accordian") recently spent a hefty sum to just get his bus pulled out of a ditch on the side of a paved road.
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I forgot that I had posted that story.

Here is a link to the disastrous day along with more pics.

Best Home Yet - Strong Command Center --- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764
Accordion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Look!.................the horse don't busy eating
That picture still gives me the heebbee jeebeeess I have come close on some roads in NC
. Car coming at can't swing front and you "hear/feel" the "clunk"....shiat....inside dual just dropped down.....I just chill.....and let the bus do what she wants.....then continue on...been lucky(I never hit brakes or over correct steering...just back off the throttle and cruise....kinda like "black ice" spots...just ride it out
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote