Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Long term parking/ homeowner

I have a question about parking your skoolie on land that you buy. Does that count as a permanent residence? Has anyone tried? I'd love to hear anyone's experience.

Gypsydreamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Long term parking/ homeowner

every place is different, we can do it here in Johnson Co, TN we don't even need permits for anything, you want a wall? build it...a building? build it
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Like bansil said, it completely depends on where you live.

I would call your county office.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
every place is different, we can do it here in Johnson Co, TN we don't even need permits for anything, you want a wall? build it...a building? build it

I live in Obion County Tennessee and things are the same here. That is the main reason I left Memphis.

We lived here about 3 years before we even heard a siren. The only gun shots are from hunters and they are not hunting humans.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

I don't see how it would be a problem if you own the land, if anyone asks tell them you purchased the land to store your RV. I'm not aware of anywhere that would consider a vehicle that is mobile as a permanent residence.

I park mine in the back yard, in town, facing the interstate, and it's a VERY blue bus. Doesn't get more visible than that and no one has complained yet. This is in a town with a lot of stupid ordinances for a lot of silly things.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

If you live "in town" you'll likely have the local zoning department and maybe a homeowners association to deal with. Both can give you some serious grief so you're best off to check ahead of time before bringing baby home for the first time. In my neighborhood where (or if) you can park an RV depends on lot size and shape. We had to extend our driveway so the bus could be parked behind the house but the neighbor's lot is much smaller and they're not allowed to park an RV at all.

If you ignore the zoning laws and/or HOA rules the Powers That Be will make your life very interesting.

It's much easier if you live outside of town where people are more laid back, but, bottom line, check first and save yourself a lot of trouble.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Quote:

I live in Obion County Tennessee and things are the same here. That is the main reason I left Memphis.

We lived here about 3 years before we even heard a siren. The only gun shots are from hunters and they are not hunting humans.
we couldn't get any further apart and be in the same state we live like 2 days apart (by Skoolie)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

If you're property is in an unincorporated area, watch out for potential annexation to a city. My house was in unincorporated county until 2010, when it was annexed to the city next door. That city has ordinances limiting the length and height of an RV parked on your own property, as if it was any of their business. This is the reason I bought a bus back then rather than waiting, because I could grandfather it in with the right paperwork. Unfortunately, I'm stuck now with this bus and can't change it. Not that it's not a good bus mind you. Limits for non-grandfathered RVs are 24' long and 9' high. My bus is 36' long and over 10' high.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Quote:

we couldn't get any further apart and be in the same state we live like 2 days apart (by Skoolie)
Bansil, only 520 miles from here to there , I am in the upper northwest corner 20 miles south of the Kentucky border. Closest small town is 10 miles away, closest medium town about 20 miles.

Hopefully there will be a Bus Gathering close enough that we both can attend!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Bus Geek

We live in the suburbs about 12 miles from mnt city....NC is 1/2 hr away.....VA is 1/2 away....to go anywhere with anything it's an hr drive...feel your pain...

I think Greg and them are planning a get together for middle tn And i plan to do a get together near winston-salem NC this year
Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Skoolie

Bansil, I will look for the info about the get togethers (I like to travel).

Have a friend in Johnson City, TN. Looks like it is pretty close to you.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
If you're property is in an unincorporated area, watch out for potential annexation to a city. My house was in unincorporated county until 2010, when it was annexed to the city next door. That city has ordinances limiting the length and height of an RV parked on your own property, as if it was any of their business. This is the reason I bought a bus back then rather than waiting, because I could grandfather it in with the right paperwork. Unfortunately, I'm stuck now with this bus and can't change it. Not that it's not a good bus mind you. Limits for non-grandfathered RVs are 24' long and 9' high. My bus is 36' long and over 10' high.
That is completely ridiculous. I'd petition to have that changed because it really is none of their business.

Our plan involves eventually buying land and parking the bus on it while we build a permanent structure. Looks like we'll be double checking the laws in the area we find... Not that I mind telling gov't folks to shove it, but I like minimizing hassle more lol

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: International

Where I live, SoCal, f you are planning on building on your land you can get a temporary occupancy permit that's good for a few years, I believe. That's our plan, at any rate.

https://www.littlebusontheprairie.com
uswiththebus is offline   Reply With Quote